Residency Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justclouds9000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is soup in the mountains

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope you cannot change your match after the algorithm does it's thing.
I'd like to find out how the match works exactly. Specifically, I'm interested in finding out whether you have a choice whether to accept a program you've matched with. Say for example, I have my top 3 programs ranked and I match with my first choice. Can I choose not to go with my first choice and choose to go with another program? How exactly would that work in practice?

(sorry if my question doesn't make sense, I dont understand the process well which is why I'm asking).

I'd like to find out how the match works exactly. Specifically, I'm interested in finding out whether you have a choice whether to accept a program you've matched with. Say for example, I have my top 3 programs ranked and I match with my first choice. Can I choose not to go with my first choice and choose to go with another program? How exactly would that work in practice?

(sorry if my question doesn't make sense, I dont understand the process well which is why I'm asking).
Check out this video The Match Process for Applicants - The Match, National Resident Matching Program and other info on the NRMP web site.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When you sign up for the Match you are signing a legally binding agreement to accept its results: you are obligated to show up at the program you match to. You can leave after a certain minimum time (45 days, I think) but that's very bad juju, and can be a kiss of death toward you ever getting another residency. Transferring by mutual consent can be done, usually best after completing a year, but it is not easy for either the resident or the accepting program.

You should rank programs in the order of your preference (not with the idea of seeing whether you can get into somewhere). If there are programs that you really do not like, then the question you should be asking yourself is whether you would rather not have a position next year (i.e. not put the program on your rank list) or go to this non-preferred program. It is a serious question that one needs to think about carefully as it has longterm consequences.

People have begged the NRMP for forgiveness due to life reasons other than "I don't want to", and exceptions have been made. I once interviewed someone with 8 such forgiven previous matches. When I saw that I didn't rank him/her and he/she matched across town, and sure enough, he/she dropped out a 9th time. The irony is, the softer the NRMP is on enforcing these things, the more leaving a program becomes the kiss of death when applying again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
People have begged the NRMP for forgiveness due to life reasons other than "I don't want to", and exceptions have been made. I once interviewed someone with 8 such forgiven previous matches. When I saw that I didn't rake him/her and he/she matched across town, and sure enough, he/she dropped out a 9th time. The irony is, the softer the NRMP is on enforcing these things, the more leaving a program becomes the kiss of death when applying again.
You should have raked him - over the coals!

Reactions: 2 users
People have begged the NRMP for forgiveness due to life reasons other than "I don't want to", and exceptions have been made. I once interviewed someone with 8 such forgiven previous matches. When I saw that I didn't rake him/her and he/she matched across town, and sure enough, he/she dropped out a 9th time. The irony is, the softer the NRMP is on enforcing these things, the more leaving a program becomes the kiss of death when applying again.

I'm surprised someone like this would match at any program at all after leaving 8 times. Was there something attractive in the app that would make a PD consider to take him or her? o_O???

Fantastic on paper, but I guess in love with two specialties at the same time and always thinking the grass is greener on the other side. It was ABABABAB and then A almost. This year will be a B I'm guessing. Funny thing is that this person could have finished both trainings twice by now.

Reactions: 2 users
Fantastic on paper, but I guess in love with two specialties at the same time and always thinking the grass is greener on the other side. It was ABABABAB and then A almost. This year will be a B I'm guessing. Funny thing is that this person could have finished both trainings twice by now.

This somewhat angers me. If the PD gives you a spot, take the spot and do well. There are many who get denied residency every year and would kill to even get one spot.

I just think people shouldn't be so entitled. Even if you are in a field you are not passionate about, you can still take your passion with you to the field you are in. However, I think, when the PD ranks you high and you match there with the program, that it is a valuable opportunity that shouldn't be discarded like trash. You can't waste everyone's time like this...

You are preaching to the choir. We don't like it either. Sometimes it is legitimate. I have had people call and tell me their father was just diagnosed with lung CA. One went into renal failure from lupus nephritis, another went floridly psychotic, but these things are relatively rare. The "oh, your offer to train me no longer fits into my lifestyle" does steam me a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
You are preaching to the choir. We don't like it either. Sometimes it is legitimate. I have had people call and tell me their father was just diagnosed with lung CA. One went into renal failure from lupus nephritis, another went floridly psychotic, but these things are relatively rare. The "oh, your offer to train me no longer fits into my lifestyle" does steam me a bit.
I enjoy reading your posts because it gives such a great perspective. Maybe I’ve been a little selfish in how I view programs in the match. For us, I always think that we have little or no power in this, and it has larger implications on a personal level than does the programs. Ie, the faculty at a program are already BC at whatever specialty, and we’re just trying to get an entry level position. But then I hear stories you just wrote and not marching doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal to some. I’m rambling, but cheers.

Do you sign a contract /official paperwork remotely after you match or after you show up in person the first day? I guess the time to kick around the tires/ask questions of potential programs is at the interview or shortly thereafter before ranking them.

Must not be that much of a kiss of death if someone can get interviews after 8 switches. Sounds hard to believe. Maybe 3-4...but 8? How is that even feasible. Wouldn't this person have had to be doing this for 8 years and still be in PGY 1? hmmmm.

People have begged the NRMP for forgiveness due to life reasons other than "I don't want to", and exceptions have been made. I once interviewed someone with 8 such forgiven previous matches. When I saw that I didn't rank him/her and he/she matched across town, and sure enough, he/she dropped out a 9th time. The irony is, the softer the NRMP is on enforcing these things, the more leaving a program becomes the kiss of death when applying again.

Do you sign a contract /official paperwork remotely after you match or after you show up in person the first day? I guess the time to kick around the tires/ask questions of potential programs is at the interview or shortly thereafter before ranking them.
Generally sign contract within first couple of weeks after match day.

Umm, yeah...that's why we have interviews and give you our contact info....