Residency Options After COMLEX-I Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThrowAway_77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for input on realistic options for residency following a failed attempt on COMLEX-I.

Are FM and psych pretty much the only viable options (those are the only two specialties I've heard of or read about people matching into after a failed attempt), or would EM and IM programs still be in reach and worth attempting to pursue? Just don't want to put myself in the position where I aim too high and wind up in the scramble come match day, but ideally, I would like to go into either IM or EM as I've always been interested in those two specialties. I can't find any hard stats on match outcomes for those with failed COMLEX-1 attempts, but if anyone has any knowledge of such info, personal stories, anecdotes or input, I'd love to hear it.

Also, I realize that my performance on COMLEX-II is going to be a huge factor now, but how about one's performance on the second attempt... As in, does it really make any difference how well someone does on the retake (i.e. scoring a 575 vs a 450 on the retake)? Obviously I'm working my as* off to score as high as I possibly can this time around, but will it bring any advantage or make a difference to programs how well someone does on the subsequent attempt once they see "fail" after the first attempt? Like I mentioned, I'm putting in my 200% regardless, but I'm wondering if all programs see it as "a fail is a fail is a fail" no matter how well one does on the second try, or if they actually take into account one's second performance/question if the fail was a weird fluke or due to extenuating circumstances. I hope that question isn't taken out of context.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
FM/IM AOA... Apply to 50+ programs. Forget about AGCME.

Thank you for your response!

Would I be putting myself at risk by strictly applying to IM programs and NOT applying to any FM programs??

I realize my options are limited now, but I didn't enjoy my FM rotation at all and have no interest in treating young patients <18 yrs old or OB-related visits. I've always envisioned myself working in a hospital either in an acute care setting, like ER, or going the IM route and potentially pursuing a fellowship. Obviously when push comes to shove, I'll be happy and grateful to land any residency spot and be a practicing physician in any specialty, but it's just that there's some specialties I'd be less happy about and FM is one of them. So is surgery, but luckily for me that's out of the equation anyways lol

Thank you for your response!

Would I be putting myself at risk by strictly applying to IM programs and NOT applying to any FM programs??

I realize my options are limited now, but I didn't enjoy my FM rotation at all and have no interest in treating young patients <18 yrs old or OB-related visits. I've always envisioned myself working in a hospital either in an acute care setting, like ER, or going the IM route and potentially pursuing a fellowship. Obviously when push comes to shove, I'll be happy and grateful to land any residency spot and be a practicing physician in any specialty, but it's just that there's some specialties I'd be less happy about and FM is one of them. So is surgery, but luckily for me that's out of the equation anyways lol
I am a allo student , and one advisor at my school who advises students about residency etc... said to us two weeks ago that he has noticed that it's been easier for students who fail step1 to match IM than FM in the past few years. I don't know how true is that! One thing I know is that there are a lot more IM programs than FM... Maybe the not so good ones have trouble recruiting US students.

I am in the same boat. I just failed COMLEX by 3 pts. Devastated to say the least. Was wondering if IM was still a possibility? I also have the same question as to whether or not your second score matters or can "help" in any way. Obviously, you would want to do as well as you could but just wondering the weight placed on that.