Residency Options in Cairo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aliasmmj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need help in this . In a year's time I will complete my undergraduate studies in Medical School in UAE . I am Egyptian and I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on how do I go about to apply for residency in Cairo. I want to try out for surgery .

I have another question also my degree will be MBBS I know the Indian students go back home and get an MD , I was wondering if anyone knows how can I obtain an MD in Cairo .

Any help wil lbe greatly appreciated...

Happy Holidays everyone!!1

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is not to come to Cairo at all :D You can apply though and see what happens.

Medical school is a graduate education. Premedicine (as in the US) is called undergraduate.

The MBBS and Mb ChB are the same degrees and they both make you a MD, same as allopathic students in the US.

welcome Aliasmmj..

first of all...i guess the first think u should do is to register fe nekabet el atebba2..

i had a friend who completed her studies in Russia...but they asked her 2 repeat her internship all over here in Egypt to get her registered.. so..ask about that so that u wont face any problems..

about residencies.. i guess ur best option would be a visitor resident in the hospital u choose..(university hospitals or teaching hospitals).. there's cairo and ain shams hospital universities... and there r several great teaching hospitals... depends on what kind of surgery exactly u want.. (but u'll have 2 pay for ur residency in this case)..

a lot of egyptian graduates from egyptian universities go for that option too... if u actually wanna get matched into the residency programs offered by the ministry of health... u'll have 2 compete with others for specialities and spots at the same time.. which will either get u a speciality u don't like... or just simply a crappy hospital, where u'll just waste ur time..

i dunno exactly about egyptians who graduated abroad who want to get an MD here.. i'll ask and let u know..

hope that helps..
feel free to PM me for any other info..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Faddy Acids.. As a matter of fact med school here is considered undergraduate school as we enroll directly after highschools where we start studying basic sciences like anatomy , physio , patho , etc... anyways i wld luv to go abroad but its a lil difficult for me and i will anyways apply for residency here in uae but its really tough and competitive here they take 5% expatriates only ..
anyways thx for the input