residency or no residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have received mixed responses from private dentists and faculty members on the issue of whether or not to do a GPR. does doing a GPR make me more marketable or is it simply a safety net for the boards and a 5th year in dental school? i would like to know what our fellow dental students and other private dentists and faculty members think. :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a dental professional. However, where as an AEGD program may be seen by some as a safety net, a GPR program is quite different. In a GPR program, you will be on call in a hospital environment. You will be expected to work with a team of other medical professionals and render dental services to patients in complex disease and trauma cases. Such situations are not normally treated in a stand alone dental clinic.

It depends. What are your long terms goals in the profession? I did a GPR mainly for the money , used most of it for a downpayment on my practice. It does also allow you to work on your speed,and do some additional learning. Does your dental school have any extamural placements ie: Hospital clinics ,intercity clinics? These may serve a similar function to a GPR. I wrote that I mainly did it for the money but as I bought a practice in Sept after finishing the GPR in July it did give me a lot of confidence and experience that I didn't have graduation day!