1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

residency or no residency?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by njdoc, Jul 23, 2001.

1. njdoc

njdoc New Member

i have received mixed responses from private dentists and faculty members on the issue of whether or not to do a GPR. does doing a GPR make me more marketable or is it simply a safety net for the boards and a 5th year in dental school? i would like to know what our fellow dental students and other private dentists and faculty members think. :confused: :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. snhate

snhate Junior Member

SAFTEY NET.

4. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm not a dental professional. However, where as an AEGD program may be seen by some as a safety net, a GPR program is quite different. In a GPR program, you will be on call in a hospital environment. You will be expected to work with a team of other medical professionals and render dental services to patients in complex disease and trauma cases. Such situations are not normally treated in a stand alone dental clinic.

5. Ineedanassociate

7+ Year Member

It depends. What are your long terms goals in the profession? I did a GPR mainly for the money , used most of it for a downpayment on my practice. It does also allow you to work on your speed,and do some additional learning. Does your dental school have any extamural placements ie: Hospital clinics ,intercity clinics? These may serve a similar function to a GPR. I wrote that I mainly did it for the money but as I bought a practice in Sept after finishing the GPR in July it did give me a lot of confidence and experience that I didn't have graduation day!