Residency Procedure/Exam Data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mt Kilimanjaro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's no reason why I would need to know this information now, but I'm just curious.

Does the ACGME make data available about procedures performed and in service exam scores? Since every residency coordinator is tracking this data for ACGME purposes, it seems like a combination of these numbers could be a fairly objective way to rank programs. For example, although there are other factors to consider, a program with residents that perform way more than the required number of procedures and score well on the in service exams seems like it could considered "better" than one that lacked both of these characteristics.

I assume this data is not made public. But if so, where can I find it. If not, why not have an objective ranking system to help med students decide on programs?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no reason why I would need to know this information now, but I'm just curious.

Does the ACGME make data available about procedures performed and in service exam scores? Since every residency coordinator is tracking this data for ACGME purposes, it seems like a combination of these numbers could be a fairly objective way to rank programs. For example, although there are other factors to consider, a program with residents that perform way more than the required number of procedures and score well on the in service exams seems like it could considered "better" than one that lacked both of these characteristics.

I assume this data is not made public. But if so, where can I find it. If not, why not have an objective ranking system to help med students decide on programs?

It's not made public.

In general you find out what places are good by talking with one or more mentors in the field. Objective ranking kind of misses the mark when you are trying to parse out what places are benign versus malignant - so what if everyone does well on the inservice if it's due to fear of being kicked out because of it. And since places can go from up and comers to falling stars with the migration of high profile faculty, published info would gave a pretty short shelf life anyhow.