Residency programs favorable towards older applicants with experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illgetthere

Reaction score
Hello out there. This is my first post, I hope I am reaching the appropriate audience. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes out the time to respond.
I am a a doctor working at the highest ranked neuro-stroke program in the UK and have many years of clinical experience in stroke. Historically, I have been unsuccessful in the match three times and did not receive a single interview most likely because of a passing but marginal step 1 score. I could not apply to many programs because my graduation date exceeds 2 or 5 years, even though I spent those years working. I am applying to this years match again because for personal reasons I need a residency in USA. My wife and child live in USA and cannot move here with me. I am writing in the explanation as an edit to my original post, since the question has been asked. My son has autism and could not adjust to the very drastic change between southern California and London. There was a lot of bullying at school and he refused to go to school. Its something best understood by parents of children with special needs.

So my questions are: are there any programs or program directors you may know of who do not screen out a candidate with a low step one score, but look at other factors. I realize this is difficult for them, having to screen thousands of applicants. It is easier to electronically screen that way but still, perhaps someone knows somebody. Step 1 is moving to a pass/fail format next year so possibly some programs are already transitioning to a new method of screening. Are there any programs screening by Step 2 scores that you may be aware of? I would at least make it past the cut if they are. I am applying to both neurology and internal medicine.

Would it be wrong to write to a residency director, explain the circumstances and politely request that they view the my application. I have a good step 2 score, have passed step 3, work experience, US externships and research but no publications in USA, research in UK which will be one of the largest studies on stroke and COVID, COVID management experience, strong recommendation letters but it all amounts to nothing if nobody actually sees my application. Appreciate any insights. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: