Residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawj

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know talking about residency programs is a bit premature, but does anyone know the difference between 3 year and 4 year programs? I'm specifically curious about EM programs. You take the same board exams either way, right? It seems to make more since to take a 3 year program and begin working in your field sooner. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to go ask in the EM forums, but yes- both can sit for the board exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know talking about residency programs is a bit premature, but does anyone know the difference between 3 year and 4 year programs? I'm specifically curious about EM programs. You take the same board exams either way, right? It seems to make more since to take a 3 year program and begin working in your field sooner. Any comments?

In a 4 year program you spend intern year doing time on varioius services like medicine and OB before starting strictly EM stuff as a PGY-2.

In a 4 year program you spend intern year doing time on varioius services like medicine and OB before starting strictly EM stuff as a PGY-2.

Partly true. There are three EM formats
PGY 1-3
PGY 2-4 (requiring a prelim or transitional year)
PGY 1-4 (full 4 year program that includes ED time during your first year)

If you want more info on this, there are plenty of threads in the EM forum that will help answer your questions.