Residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jedimuscle23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident and I've been one for 18 years now. My gpa is at a 3.01 after most of my prerequisites have been completed and I was considering a one year masters program to beef up my application for dental school. There are only two of these programs in state which I planned on applying to both of them.

My question though is if I hypothetically did a one year masters program out of state and then came back to Texas would that mess up my residency status even if I was in another state for only 10-12 months??

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Texas resident and I've been one for 18 years now. My gpa is at a 3.01 after most of my prerequisites have been completed and I was considering a one year masters program to beef up my application for dental school. There are only two of these programs in state which I planned on applying to both of them.

My question though is if I hypothetically did a one year masters program out of state and then came back to Texas would that mess up my residency status even if I was in another state for only 10-12 months??

So i work in an admissions department for a school in Texas, so i feel as i have a pretty good perspective on how residency works. TECHNICALLY speaking, you have have been in Texas for 12 consecutive months leading up to your application, and during those 12 months you have to have been doing something to establish a domicile, whether that means working or owning a home.

Now the truth of the situation is, if you answer the residency questions correctly the first time, you shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to be considered a Texas resident. just tell the truth, "I've lived in Texas for the past 18 years, i graduated from a texas highschool yadda yadda."

I went to school in Oklahoma for years and i'm still instate for the Texas schools.

So i work in an admissions department for a school in Texas, so i feel as i have a pretty good perspective on how residency works. TECHNICALLY speaking, you have have been in Texas for 12 consecutive months leading up to your application, and during those 12 months you have to have been doing something to establish a domicile, whether that means working or owning a home.

Now the truth of the situation is, if you answer the residency questions correctly the first time, you shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to be considered a Texas resident. just tell the truth, "I've lived in Texas for the past 18 years, i graduated from a texas highschool yadda yadda."

I went to school in Oklahoma for years and i'm still instate for the Texas schools.

Question: does the 12 months mean when you submit your application or if I'm in the state 12 months prior to matriculation??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile