Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me.
1. Can you go through the osteopathic match and match into a program in one state but request to do your internship in another? I know that you can match into residency positions as a 4th year but my wife is one year behind me and I would like to stay in town to complete my internship year then move to complete my training. I know you can also complete your internship year then apply to many of the programs but I'd like to know where I'm going next year just like everyone else.

2. What opportunities exist in EM if you decide not to practice in the ER for the entire duration of your career. Can you open your own practice (Urgent Care, GP...)?

Thanks for your responses,
Richard M.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do your internship independentally of your formal, final residency training. Once you complete your internship, you can then apply to either osteopathic or allopathic residencies. For many programs that require a triansitional PGY-1, such as 2,3,4 EM programs, the Internship fits in perfectly. Uou can do your internship locally and then apply nationally or whatever.

As an EM physician, you can pretty much work in any type of meregency setting from a level 1 University Center to a local community hospital to an Urgent Care Center. And, yes, you can open your own center if finances allow. As a board-certified ER guy, the EM sky's the limit.

Good luck,

Patrick, D.O.