residency question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question that I forgot to ask at a residency fair recently held at our school. Is it possible to do an osteopathic internal medicine residency and then complete an allopathic gastroenterology fellowship? There are only 11 osteopathic GI fellowships compared to approx. 450 allopathic positions. Should I skip the osteopathic route altogether and just take my chances on the allopathic side of the profession? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Richard UHS02'

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that for most, if not all, allopathic GI fellowships you'd have to complete an allopathic IM residency.

I don't personally know how competitive, in general, osteopathic residencies are but a betting man would say go for the allopathic IM residency and then on to an allopathic GI fellowship. You have a better chance.

Tim of New York City.

Of course you can do an alliopathic fellowship after an osteopathic internal medicine residency. GI is not that competitive. Even if it was, if you are a competitive applicant than you should have no problem. When applying for residency remember to ask how many people are going for fellowships and where they are going.

[This message has been edited by Kent Ray (edited 04-11-2000).]

Richard,

Actually GI is very competitive. It's one of the most sought after medicine fellowships. Only Cardiology may be slightly more difficult to obtain.

GI and Cardiology are so competitive because they are the most procedure oriented medicine specialties... i.e.: highest paying.

I'd do whatever you can do to make yourself as competitive an applicant as possible. Where you go to residency (the more prestigeous the better, University program better than community program), research in GI as a resident, and who you get for letters of recommendation are all important factors for your application.

I'm not sure if you can do a an ACGME fellowship after AOA residency. Since you aren't allowed to sit for the ABIM boards if you do a AOA IM residency, that may be a factor in liscensing.