Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G. I. Joseph

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the SUNY schools as a NYS resident but Ive been working and living in CT for 5 months and getting paid here. Does anyone know if I am still a NYS resident and if they would ask me to prove it? How would I? I dont have a NYS license and didnt own anything there.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to live at least a year elsewhere to become a resident, so as long as you used to live in nY, you're prob still a resident.

I had to prove my FL residency by giving them a copy of my dad's registration and driver's license, and parents' tax returns....do you have anything like that? Anything from your parents if you're still considered "dependant"?

Doctor F is not correct about needing to live in a new state for a year before becomming a resident. You are the resident of a state the minute that you live there and have the intention of staying their indefinately. However, there are special rules for qualifying for in-state tuition. Many states require that you be a resident for a year before you qualify. It's ironic that you can be considered a resident of a state and owe income taxes to it, but not for tuition purposes. Under these peculiar rules it is not uncommon for someone to fail to qualify for instate tuition in any state

The operative question here may very subtle. Generally, there are different rules for those who are dependants of their parents and those who are not. Each state also has its own rules and those rules are usually up to interpretation by the schools financial aid office. If Joseph is not a dependant of his family and did not maintain a New York address his is probably hosed.

The details of your specific situation might aid the discussion.

Ed