Residency Requirements for SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Hulk

Official Green Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone out there in SDN land,

Quick question... Do you need to have lived in NY either a)for 12 months prior to applying or b) 12 months prior to attending to be considered for residency status? I am a NY native but currently living in MA and I was planning on moving back to NY in august and applying then. I would be considered a resident under assumption b) but not under a). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

TH

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying now and all of the residency forms use the language "the past 12 months prior to registration." It is all on the website though. As I understand it is very difficult to lose residency for just living a year out of state. So if you have always been a NY resident and are moving back it shoudl not be a problem.

Great,

Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you want to know this b/c of in-state preference or just for tuition etc but the SUNYs do not have preference for in-state students anymore (at least they aren't supposed to- thanks to the governor.) the admissions director at SUNY Upstate told me that.

That's what I heard also. It is a mandate for all state schools. I will be interested to see the numbers after next fall though. Additionally, I heard SUNY-Syracuse is going to allow students to be eligible for in state tuition after the first year.

DW

What do you mean, no preference for in staters? I was at Downstate last week and they confirmed that they give preference to NYS apps. Are you talking about the post 911 free tuition thing?

i believe the no preference only applies to SUNY upstate and yes the tuition will go to the in state after the first year

yeah, the "no preference"thing only applies to Upstate. I know U.B. and Stony Brook definitely still give NY state preference.