Residency Retirement Matching and Disability Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTGPGE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The resident council at my institution is currently looking into lobbying our GME office for retirement matching and better disability coverage. We want to see what other programs across the country are doing. If you have the time and could anonymously fill out this form with your program and the rest of the details, that would help us out tremendously.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

The resident council at my institution is currently looking into lobbying our GME office for retirement matching and better disability coverage. We want to see what other programs across the country are doing. If you have the time and could anonymously fill out this form with your program and the rest of the details, that would help us out tremendously.

Not to burst your bubble, but no hospital is going to consider a retirement match for residents in the midst of a pandemic that has slashed salaries of everyone from the janitor to the hospital CMO. Just not going to happen. Chill for a year and try again in the 2021 - 2022 academic year.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to burst your bubble, but no hospital is going to consider a retirement match for residents in the midst of a pandemic that has slashed salaries of everyone from the janitor to the hospital CMO. Just not going to happen. Chill for a year and try again in the 2021 - 2022 academic year.

my program started a retirement match this July 1 actually. We also got our raises (both pgy and inflation) while almost everyone else got cuts.

Now is the time to lobby for it if you want it to start next year.

if you want to know what other residencies do, contact their GME admin/DIO if you can’t find it on their webpages. Most of this info is public if they are offering it bc it makes them more attractive.

Last edited:
My residency did a 50% match but it was cancelled this year what with covid.

We also got a disability policy that Im honestly not that familiar with as I purchased specialty specific disability my pgy3 year.

If you get a match, make sure that you can be 100% vested before you are done with residency so you don't lose the money you're lobbying for.

And with disability, getting your own personal policy that is specialty specific and portable is important...more so than whatever generic policy your hospital offers you.

Reactions: 2 users