Residency/School Reputation??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmstudent01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Need some advice on this subject as I am accepted to pharm school which starts next month. My plan after graduating is to do a residency so that I can work in the hospital. I have been dwelling over the fact that due to the school being private it will be hard for me to get matched to a residency.

So, does it really matter what school you attend in order to obtain a residency and a hospital position thereafter?!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

Need some advice on this subject as I am accepted to pharm school which starts next month. My plan after graduating is to do a residency so that I can work in the hospital. I have been dwelling over the fact that due to the school being private it will be hard for me to get matched to a residency.

So, does it really matter what school you attend in order to obtain a residency and a hospital position thereafter?!

rarely - unless you went to a school with a bad reputation - but honestly - unless I am from your state, I know the top schools nationwide, and the very bad schools from my area

rarely - unless you went to a school with a bad reputation - but honestly - unless I am from your state, I know the top schools nationwide, and the very bad schools from my area

Lecom is where I will be attending.

Any comments on Lecom vs Usf Cop?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a search here for some interesting stories. Lecom seems to be the antithesis of Harvard, reputation-wise.
that emphasizes my point, unless you are from the NE - chances are you don't know much about that school -

The school doesn't matter, but where do you do residency will matter when you apply for a job.

Though LECOM has a terrible reputation. I would go somewhere else.

Schools do have a minor importance if there is a rivalry in town (Ferris and Wayne State (the working class) against Michigan (the beautiful class)) as there is a tendency to favor the alma mater for your recruits. It's very minor, it'll be more about you and your qualifications and interests that drive the application, and how well you get along with the rest of us in the interview that determines matching. I'd worry about yourself. The residency forum is a better place, but making yourself a good record as a student, being well put together, and demonstrating good ethic will trump any school's reputation even abysmal ones like my alma mater.