residency start date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinapism

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I am getting married next year (at the end of fourth year) and we are trying to set a date. We would like to get married in May but we are wondering if early June is a possibility. I know that residencies are supposed to start July 1 but some friends I know have started as early as June 6.

Whats up with start dates? are they flexible? should I avoid an early June wedding?

FYI, the residencies we are looking at are Peds and Gen Surg.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most residency programs have an orientation that will start sometime during the last two weeks of june. The earilest start date I have heard is June 15 for this year.

Yes a wedding EARLY June will not be a problem. congrats

Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

My first question to you would be: when is the last day of your medical school. Some people at my school were able to finish even in late march because they packed their rotations at the beginning. Even an ending in late april, early may wouldn't be all that bad if you could do it. I would recommend getting married in May if possible because that would leave you with a good 4-5 weeks of time for a honey moon / settling in to wherever you'll be doing your residency.

In my case, I opted to get married two days after my medical school graduation - June 1, 2008 which is eleven days away now. :D In retrospect, I would have had the wedding May 17th or May 18th, because I finished all my rotations on May 9th. I have to make a California to Texas move with my fiancee shortly thereafter in order to be present for the June 16th start date - this is for general surgery - essentially one week to get ACLS, ATLS, BLS, PALS certified/recertified, and one week for the hospital orientation. The June 1st wedding only leaves enough time for a 3-day getaway, and then an immediate move, which sucks.

I suppose if you're sure that you both would be able to get a residency in the same town you are now, then you wouldn't have to worry about making a fat move, and you'll still be able to have a decent honeymoon with an early June wedding. But then again, if you're going for academic surgery then you'll have to apply far and wide and only God know's where you'll end up - General Surgery's popularity has been picking up every year since about 2003.

Weddings are a special time for you both, you don't want to have to worry about moving during that time. So in summary, get married in May if at all possible.

thanks for all the input. this wedding planning stuff is kind of painful but im sure it will be worth it in the long run.

Agree with the above. There is no set date for residency to start - every program will be different. If you wait until June it will not leave much time for a honeymoon as well as moving if needed. I have heard of programs with very early start dates. Get married in May if possible.