Residency Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaffyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Do I have to live in AZ for exactly one year to become an AZ resident?

If I moved there in Jan. 07 then I will be applying in Jun 07 for enrollment Aug 08, then I will technically be an AZ resident by the time I enroll, NOT by the time I apply.

Do you think the schools go by the time of enrollment for judging residency status, OR by the time of application? For instance, will they not look at my file b/c I will have not lived in AZ for at least one year? By the time I apply in Jun 07 I will have lived in AZ for approx. 6 months only.

Thank you for your input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

DaffyDoc said:
Hi!

Do I have to live in AZ for exactly one year to become an AZ resident?

If I moved there in Jan. 07 then I will be applying in Jun 07 for enrollment Aug 08, then I will technically be an AZ resident by the time I enroll, NOT by the time I apply.

Do you think the schools go by the time of enrollment for judging residency status, OR by the time of application? For instance, will they not look at my file b/c I will have not lived in AZ for at least one year? By the time I apply in Jun 07 I will have lived in AZ for approx. 6 months only.

Thank you for your input!!!

You really need to contact the school -- residency laws are not consistant throughout the country, and the rules schools follow may deviate from that used by the states in determining residency for other reasons. Some states require residency for as long as 5 years (and don't count years as being an unemployed student), while others have quick one year residency requirements. Do you have to be a resident to apply, or for in state tuition? Assuming the 1 year rule you cite is accurate, you might be fine for the tuition but not the application.

Concerning state residency, the rules for AMCAS are different than for getting in-state tuition rates once you are accepted. As far as AMCAS is concerned, you are a resident if you say so - but you only get one state to be a resident of, so don't waste it on CA or NY. Some state schools want to see how long you have had a local driver's license etc as part of the secondary app.

GeoJungle said:
Concerning state residency, the rules for AMCAS are different than for getting in-state tuition rates once you are accepted. As far as AMCAS is concerned, you are a resident if you say so - but you only get one state to be a resident of, so don't waste it on CA or NY. Some state schools want to see how long you have had a local driver's license etc as part of the secondary app.

while sure, you can claim any state on amcas, there are state schools that wont even consider you unless you meet their definition of resident (i.e not just a question of tuition treatment). thus you need to figure where you can claim residency before applying.