Residency — step score screening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Underdog2020

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a really high step 2 score (250+) help to prevent you from getting screened if you have a really really low step 1 score (less than 200)

USIMG

Specifically family medicine and internal med residencies

All exams passed on first attempt

Does it help to reach out to PD’s when you apply to residency?

Any opinions or answers would be really helpful. thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

this depends on the field, specific program and the step 1 score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OK, So this is a difficult question to answer because every FM/ IM program may be different in this regard.
It appears as tho there were only 3 applicants in a 4 year period with stats of <200 step 1 and >250 step 2. All three of them matched, but who knows where.
I would apply broadly to programs that take IMGs and expect to be screened at a large chunk of places just because of the Step 1. FM is probably a safer bet considering they tend to have lower filters and step 1s. Good Luck.
1586105227943.png

1586105285232.png

Reactions: 1 users
OK, So this is a difficult question to answer because every FM/ IM program may be different in this regard.
It appears as tho there were only 3 applicants in a 4 year period with stats of 250 step 2. All three of them matched, but who knows where.
I would apply broadly to programs that take IMGs and expect to be screened at a large chunk of places just because of the Step 1. FM is probably a safer bet considering they tend to have lower filters and step 1s. Good Luck.
View attachment 301220
View attachment 301221

Thank you so much for this, this really helps me. Do you think taking step 3 would help? I would be able to take it in November - December of my application period so During interview periods.

Thank you so much for this, this really helps me. Do you think taking step 3 would help? I would be able to take it in November - December of my application period so During interview periods.

I dont know the answer to that.

Hard to say. Honestly, I don’t think it should affect your strategy too much because as an IMG you’ll have to apply extremely broadly anyway and you’ve already done the most important thing in assuaging concerns about your standardized test abilities. My guess is that you’ll still be screened out by some programs but you’ll have a good chance at many. FM is also a field that’s not as concerned about Step 1 as others. Purely anecdotally and with no data to support this, I think Step 2 is becoming more important to PDs - I did much better on Step 2 than 1 and had a few people say that they think it’s more valuable because it’s more clinical. There’s also an argument that since Step 1 is being phased out PDs might start thinking more about Step 2 now since that’s their future. I’d be sure to apply very broadly and use all the connections you have to get your foot in the door. Good luck!

Does anyone know if a really high step 2 score (250+) help to prevent you from getting screened if you have a really really low step 1 score (less than 200)

USIMG

Specifically family medicine and internal med residencies

All exams passed on first attempt

Does it help to reach out to PD’s when you apply to residency?

Any opinions or answers would be really helpful. thank you

The screening protocol is unique to each residency program. A PD has multiple, multiple ways of screening by setting parameters. Ie they could screen out if "step 1 < 200 AND step 2 < 230". That would essentially ensure that your app would not get reviewed unless they decide to add another parameter to hold applications 10-20 points below their screening threshold for a secondary review if for some reason they get through their first pile.

Another screen that could be done would be "step 1 < 200 OR step 2 >240". That would keep you in the running.

So you see how variable this is right? NRMP is the best tool to understand the overall trends and factors PDs are looking for but FRIEDA and ResidencyExplorer will be better tools for you to decided where and what to apply to.

You're best bet would be to apply exceptionally broadly since you have 2 things going against you (low step 1 and IMG). I've heard of IMG colleagues applying to 200 places at minimum. I think family medicine is more forgiving than internal medicine regarding step scores so I would try for FM more so than IM.

I think it would help if you pass... Take it if you are well prepared.

If I were you, I would apply to 150 FM and 100 IM programs. This is not the time to try to save 5k because if you don't match the first time around, you chances decrease dramatically in subsequent match... I think you have a shot a both FM and IM.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would help if you pass... Take it if you are well prepared.

If I were you, I would apply to 150 FM and 100 IM programs. This is not the time to try to save 5k because if you don't match the first time around, you chances decrease dramatically in subsequent match... I think you have a shot a both FM and IM.

Thank you so much

The screening protocol is unique to each residency program. A PD has multiple, multiple ways of screening by setting parameters. Ie they could screen out if "step 1 < 200 AND step 2 < 230". That would essentially ensure that your app would not get reviewed unless they decide to add another parameter to hold applications 10-20 points below their screening threshold for a secondary review if for some reason they get through their first pile.

Another screen that could be done would be "step 1 < 200 OR step 2 >240". That would keep you in the running.

So you see how variable this is right? NRMP is the best tool to understand the overall trends and factors PDs are looking for but FRIEDA and ResidencyExplorer will be better tools for you to decided where and what to apply to.

You're best bet would be to apply exceptionally broadly since you have 2 things going against you (low step 1 and IMG). I've heard of IMG colleagues applying to 200 places at minimum. I think family medicine is more forgiving than internal medicine regarding step scores so I would try for FM more so than IM.

Thank you for your reply, this is really helpful

Thank you for your reply, this is really helpful

I would not take Step 3 the November/December you are applying-first of all you may need the dates for an interview/travel, particularly if you have to cast a wide net. Secondly, your score would not help you get any interviews because by the time your score comes back (mid January at the earliest) a vast majority of places are done interviewing.

I would not take Step 3 the November/December you are applying-first of all you may need the dates for an interview/travel, particularly if you have to cast a wide net. Secondly, your score would not help you get any interviews because by the time your score comes back (mid January at the earliest) a vast majority of places are done interviewing.
But it might help him in ranking given his IMG status combined with a very low step 1....

But it might help him in ranking given his IMG status combined with a very low step 1....
Some programs want Step 3 passed prior to ranking for IMGs. I am not sure how true that is.

Does it help if while on interviews I say I’m planning on taking it November/ December ? And then update them after receiving my score? Thanks

Does it help if while on interviews I say I’m planning on taking it November/ December ? And then update them after receiving my score? Thanks

Once you have both CS/CK, they don't bother asking you about step3... But since you are an IMG, it will help when it comes to ranking.

Not sure what type of advice you have been getting from your school considering i thought they always told IMGs to take it early to show that pass for interview or rank time.

Not sure what type of advice you have been getting from your school considering i thought they always told IMGs to take it early to show that pass for interview or rank time.

It depends when you start at the school, a lot of students do take it tho. I am currently not in rotations due to COVID-19 so this has delayed me 3-4 months. I was scheduling to take step 3 and have my score back before interviews but I will now be pushed towards November —> January.

When is rank time? My goal is to mention in my application when I will be taking step 3 when I apply and be able to update programs/places I’ve interviewed at as soon as I receive my score.

It depends when you start at the school, a lot of students do take it tho. I am currently not in rotations due to COVID-19 so this has delayed me 3-4 months. I was scheduling to take step 3 and have my score back before interviews but I will now be pushed towards November —> January.

When is rank time? My goal is to mention in my application when I will be taking step 3 when I apply and be able to update programs/places I’ve interviewed at as soon as I receive my score.

Rank order list deadline usually happens at the end of February...

In terms of actual screening, I thought they applied filters on an electronic interface, which means that if they choose to screen by Step 1, it won't matter what your Step 2 is. Similar if they just choose to screen by Step 2. I'm assuming you can apply multiple filters but they'd probably be doing that sequentially rather than simultaneously.

Hey everyone! Need some advice. I am a NONUS IMG currently in New York pursuing MPH and research.
I've been knocked down so hard ever since I graduated in 2016, with a chronic illness and the sudden death of my brother that I never applied for residency even once. I had low scores too. But I have battled my condition and I am giving it a try this year.

I am passionate about FM since I am a chronic illness patient and love integrative medicine.
Visa requiring
Step 1- 210
Step 2- 215
CS- PASS (1st)
Step 3- 254 (I just got this and I am so happy!)
Research- ongoing (no publication yet ut hopefully soon)
conducting an indépendant study in NYU as well.
USCE- 6 months (2 months FM in a hospital, 4 months Peds in a private practice) both hands on
4 LOR's.
Planning to apply to 200+ programs but only FM. I am not internal med material (esp with my scores)

I was just wondering if I had a chance? I'd be grateful for a reply. Thank you so much.
That sounds like a good plan. I would not discount IM if I were you. Apply 200+ FM and 100+ IM

Some programs want Step 3 passed prior to ranking for IMGs. I am not sure how true that is.
In path it definitely helps (not required but helps) so it could certainly help in FM/IM

In path it definitely helps (not required but helps) so it could certainly help in FM/IM

Any idea if i can mention in my application that I am scheduled to take it during the application cycle?