Residency vs Sweet Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleazye

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have recently received an offer for a job that I really like in a desirable (to me) location but have thus far planned on doing a residency. School is shoving residency down our throats and though I'd like to do one for the simple fact that I think it would be nice to learn more, I am hesitant to spend a year doing a residency to end up with a job like the one I am being offered. Am I drinking the kool aid or will I end up on the street if I don't do a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I have recently received an offer for a job that I really like in a desirable (to me) location but have thus far planned on doing a residency. School is shoving residency down our throats and though I'd like to do one for the simple fact that I think it would be nice to learn more, I am hesitant to spend a year doing a residency to end up with a job like the one I am being offered. Am I drinking the kool aid or will I end up on the street if I don't do a residency?
I don't get your dilemma.... take the job

whats the problem here?

you are being offered the job you like, take the job

Members don't see this ad :)
As a P4 who is unfortunately not in your position, think about what makes you happy. If you find that sometime in the future, you will get tired of performing a staff position and will want a more clinical position, then do the residency. I wouldn't want to give up 1 or more likely 2 years of my life for a residency just to end up with a staff position. If a clinical hospital/ambulatory care position is what you're interested in, then do a residency. Otherwise, take the job.

As a P4 who is unfortunately not in your position, think about what makes you happy. If you find that sometime in the future, you will get tired of performing a staff position and will want a more clinical position, then do the residency. I wouldn't want to give up 1 or more likely 2 years of my life for a residency just to end up with a staff position. If a clinical hospital/ambulatory care position is what you're interested in, then do a residency. Otherwise, take the job.

I don't necessarily think the op should do a residency if they want a clinical position... you can always gain experience and move into a position like this and it's even possible to gain BCPS certification without a residency. I think it depends on how good this job is. Will they give you room to grow? is it in a desirable location? if so I say take the job.

whats the problem here?

you are being offered the job you like, take the job

Hmm, never thought of it like that (family guy, anyone?), haha. Thanks guys, the job is a hybrid hospital position (1/2 staff, 1/2 "clinical") in a rural area which, I'm assuming, most people would find undesirable but suits me fine. The dilemma is that for the past 4 yrs we've been told that not doing a residency severely limits your future opportunity for hospital based positions. I guess I'm concerned that if I ever decide to move on to another position in a more 'desirable' part of the country that I won't be able to compete with someone who has done a residency. Personally, I believe that a candidate with 3-5 yrs of work experience and/or BCPS certification should easily be able to compete with a residency trained pharmacist but just because I believe it doesn't make it true. From what I've read on this forum, it sounds like some of the pro-residency folks may feel that way too.

What do they say at marriage ceremonies? "Speak now or forever hold your peace?"

If you flake out, diss the job over, and do the residency, I don't wanna hear you whining next year when you can't find a job!

You can always go back and do a residency, especially if you have that kind of experience. What you can't do, however, is get this exact job offer again (if they happen to fill it).

At the hospital I work for, they take people with experience over people with just a residency even if the job opening states "residency preferred". So, someone with residency + lots of experience > hospital experience (staff or clinical) > just residency.

But even then, they seem to take the people that get along well with others over those that are cocky about their shiny residency.

Take the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm do a residency or take a job in the field you want, in an area you like. Yeah that's tough one alright.

Take the job. As a half and half position you can pretty much list yourself as a clinical pharmacist on your CV. Not to mention you gain that clinical knowledge while you work. Within 3 years you'll be in the same position as a fresh resident as far as most employers are concerned, with an extra 250K in your pocket over a residency.

Oh, and don't forget. Just because they have a job opening that you want *now*, it doesn't mean that they will have another opening any time soon.

For example, the hospital that's really close to my house, like down the road close, was looking for pharmacists this summer. Now, they're full, and they don't have any openings (within that health system) in Louisiana, which is no biggie, because I already have a full-time job, but it would be nice to have a second job *now*... just like it would be nice to have a job that you want.

Hell... another hybrid/clinical position may not be available at that hospital for 3 years, for all you know.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's always nice to hear some outside opinions.

What are you doing residency for? Most do it to get the job they want. If you have an offer for the job you want, take it.

If I were in your situation, I'd take the job and start making some money and paying off them loans. Can't take any chances in this economy/job market, take it while you can. Residency is something that you can always pursue a little later, not to mention it might not be necessary by then if you are doing well and gaining loads of experience through the "job". Best of luck to you, happy holidays.

Personally, I'm 1000% pro-residency but only at a quality site... BUT I hate how it can be perceived as a status symbol - as in the haves and have-nots just like Rph vs PharmD. But how do you know you will be at that "sweet" job a year from now or that it won't fall through?

I think it ultimately depends on the pharmacist's personality, experience, and willingness to learn, regardless whether it is day by day application on the job or theoretical in nature because everyone has a different learning style. And, regardless of what you are told, it's not the end of the world if you don't end up with one, it's just that your career pathway may be a little smoother (but remember not guaranteed) if you are fortunate to match a residency.

You're joking...right? I mean really? I think residency is good and all and unless making money and having a job is not too important to you...TAKE THE JOB!

you dont have to do a residency to get a clinical position.....I know several of my fellow classmates that are doing "clinical" stuff without a residency and we graduated last yr.

At this point, I think the residency thing is overrated.....but soon it may be required.

I would take the job. After all, didnt you go to school to get a good job you want?

:idea:

As someone who finished residency last summer and knows what the job market is like for people just out of residency...

take the job.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

TAKE. THE. JOB!

As someone who finished residency last summer and knows what the job market is like for people just out of residency...

take the job.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

TAKE. THE. JOB!

They always preach about doing a residency because it will open so many doors to you. What is the job outlook if one does complete a one year residency?

They always preach about doing a residency because it will open so many doors to you. What is the job outlook if one does complete a one year residency?

It depends on where you live and whether or not you're willing to relocate. I happen to be stuck in an area that's saturated with pharmacists, so finding a job after PGY-1 was a struggle.

For the OP I'd say prospects are pretty good without one. ;). For the rest of us, probably depends on who you know, then what you know.