Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what d.o school you attend when it comes to attaining residency? Do programs give preference to a student from school A rather than B?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, Hogwarts doesn't have preferences. We are all equally trained and competent wizards.

Does it matter what d.o school you attend when it comes to attaining residency? Do programs give preference to a student from school A rather than B?

In general I don't think matters too much. There are some exceptions, though.

1) Certain Acgme programs only take DOs from specific schools. Which programs am I talking about? I could give you an example or two, but I don't know them all. More importantly, however, it doesn't matter that much. Who knows who will be the program director in 4 years and what their opinions on DOs might be.
2) Residency programs often have a regional bias. NYC programs often take people from new york medical schools, CA programs take applicants from Californian medicial schools, etc. This doesn't mean you cannot match in NYC, for example, from a out of state school.
3) AOA residencies, particularly competitive ones, seem to take a disproportional number of applicants from their home institution. So if you want to do orthopedics, for example, you would be better off attending a school that has an orthopedic residency associated with school.

Once again, in general, it doesn't matter that much, and what I described above is minor.