residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent2BTV

SleepGuy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if its possible to find out how many students apply to dental school FROM arkansas each cycle? There is no dental school there; however, I know that there are approximately 30 seats reserved for Arkansas students at D schools from surrounding states. I would like to see the size of the applicant pool from arkansas if possible.

I'm currently at school in Texas right now (have been here only 8 months), but I am from Arkansas. I'm in a situation to where I can either stay in Texas and apply to schools here as a resident next cycle, or I can move back to Arkansas and apply as a resident from there next cycle.

I know Texas has three D schools, and it seems like my chances would be better to stay here where there are 3 schools accepting primarily TX residents. However, the applicant pool is VERY large I'm sure.

Basically I'm weighing whether it would be more beneficial for me to stay in Texas and apply to dental school here, or if I would be better off moving back to Arkansas and applying from there. Again...It would be very helpful to find out how many students I would be competing with from Arkansas for those 30 seats....

Thanks to anyone who can help! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering the same thing; I'm from Arkansas too.

I would stay in TX

It also depends on what schools you're looking at. UT Memphis holds 18 spots for Arkansas students, UMKC holds 1-3 I think, as does Oklahoma. Louisville holds 1 or 2 I think. It's probably better if you stay in TX, because you'll also have to pay out-of-state tuition to the schools you get into (if they don't offer an out-of-state differential, which I know Memphis does not for Arkansas students).