Resident evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Broken Ankles

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what purpose resident evaluations serve during the end of rotation evals. For instance, are these evals given to potential employers after residency or required for submission on fellowship applications?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what purpose resident evaluations serve during the end of rotation evals. For instance, are these evals given to potential employers after residency or required for submission on fellowship applications?

Thanks.

I always thought it was an ongoing evaluation process (since this is kind of like a job and you can get fired at any one point). I mean if you recieve a bad evaluation or two at the end of the year, they may look at some of the earlier evals to see if what you did wrong is an ongoing issue (like showing up late all the time).

Also, like you said I think fellowships can get this info, maybe not word for word, but maybe in the same sense as a Dean's letter for when you are applying for residency. When your program director writes a letter of recommendation, he/she may use these evaluations in his overall evaluation of you.

And same way for future employers may ask the program director what kind of comments/impression did you have on your past attendings and coworkers. In my residency we get evaluated by EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE.

Last month I got an email to evaluation a few of my peers and even myself. I thought the self evaluations was an error so I rejected it, then almost instantly (like an hour later), I got an email that it was not sent in error and 'we at this institutions like to see evaluations of ourselves'. I personally hate evaluations and don't spend the time I should on them ahah.

For the most part, residency rotations evals mean nothing. They're good for PDs to monitor a resident's progress. If s/he sees a bunch of bad evals, hopefully he can try to steer the resident in the right direction.

Having recently been in the job hunt, I have never had anyone request my file. It's possible that my chair and PD looked at the evals before writing my letters of rec, but I'm guessing they didn't.

Don't take your evals too seriously. I got so great evals from rotations I didn't put any effort into, and some terrible evals from people that just didn't like me. Now that I'm an attending, it all means didly squat.

I wouldn't worry about them too much - as far as I know, they go nowhere but in your "file" and fellowships don't see them, nor do medical boards.

If you have a long history of poor evals, then its a problem, but for most of us, 1 or 2 aren't going to be a problem. You can't control who is going to be hard on you and who isn't. You can't even control B.S. evals for which you are not aware until its already on your file (at least you have a chance to rebut and have that put in your file. I did - not that it really made any difference since my PD stuck up for me).Its the pattern which matters.

Do you think I will get a bad eval for choking out one of the unit secretaries and then kicking them in the ribs after they pass out.....is that frowned upon?

I am really am not a jerk, but I am always polite to everyone and expect the same in return, mess with the bull and you get the horns.

It was the funniest thing I ever saw, This F^$%&* Unit sec thought I was just another meek intern and thought they would yell at me about something my F^$%&* med student did. I gave her an earfull (without yelling) and then called her supervisor - now she gives me a go to H^!! look everytime I am around - gotta love the floor. 21 more days 'til I get back to the ER.

The Mish