Resident in trouble for x raying wife's foot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, deleted original post, maybe it had too much information...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, nothing will happen to you. What might happen is you'll probably just walk away with a warning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only the ultimate D -bags would make a big deal about that but who knows with some of the Podiatrists I've met? I doubt it would even be an issue in a MD residency.

Although your obvious intent is to wait and jump on any thread that allows you to attempt to bash podiatry, this has nothing to do with podiatry. This is all about a residency director with some obvious ego/power issues. To state that you've met some d-bag podiatrists MUST mean all podiatrists are a-holes, right? Give me a break. We have all met d-bags in every endeavor in life, podiatrists don't own that distinction, so show a little objectivity once in a while.

On the surface, there a few points there are few things I think the OP did wrong, though I would not have done anything as the director other than maybe discuss proper protocol in the future.

What. I believe was done "wrong" was asking the attending for his permission, even though he has nothing to do with the clinic mentioned, and even worse, according to the OP is not well liked by the other staff.

The entire threat by the residency director in my opinion is ludicrous. The OP was treating his wife, not some stranger, and wasn't billing for the service (maybe THAT is why the director was upset, it didn't allow for him to bill). As far as a legal issue, that is also ridiculous. Without billing insurance, what are you going to get in "trouble" for, taking an x-ray and treating your wife? It's not as if you are a plumber, you are a second year resident.

Of course, even though I think it's a non issue, only th OP knows IF there was/is a policy that he knew about forbidding any treatment o r rendering any services without an attending present. But let's be realistic, if the OP did call the director and asked for permission, would the director really say "no"? If he would, then he is a d-bag.

The last issue that comes to mind is the relationship between the OP and director. Was this the first infraction? It seems as though it's a gross over reaction by the director, unless this was not the first event causing him concern.

The bottom line is that Neil is correct, some people are just d-bags, and if the director IS, that's something the OP should have considered first.

I hope his wife does well with her fracture.

Only the ultimate D -bags would make a big deal about that but who knows with some of the Podiatrists I've met? I doubt it would even be an issue in a MD residency.

Troll harder.

I feel like its pretty brave of you to post this up for everyone to see. Especially the details of the attendings. It was an interesting read, but perhaps you should delete it?

Saw a comment in a derogatory vein re: plumbers, compared to a podiatry post graduate training, YR II.

Plumbers are truly needed, they meet integral needs, and do not create or define needs-that's a salesmen.

Many plumbers earn well over 6 figures and control their own shop rather, than being an employee and at the mercy of some corporate health "care" exec deciding what ya get paid, when ya get paid, if ya get paid, or slick of a pen and ya gone.

The arrogance of some thinking they are better or deserve special treatment because of an unknown triad of letters is laughable. And that goes for MDs, DMDs, and others. Every job is honorable. janitor to chief thief.

Plumbers are not dependent on ACA, ACOs, PPOs, HMOs, BOs, UFOs, lawyers, decreasing reimbursements, or jockying health "care" in a sinking ship country in a severe recession with no end in sight. That's economic reality for the 99%.

People are not going to stop paying for sanitation/clean water/plumbing in america.

They will think, twice, three times a lady, about paying out of pocket for podiatry service providers in this environ, especially when they have other more pressing medical issues, ie., rotting teeth, bloody sputum, and CHF. etc...

So the post-grad pediatric residecncy director can't bill, or get money from her/his trainees/lackies. So what, the hospital gets ~hundred thou per rezy. If radiographing his wife's foot is "unacceptable" it in the least, merely reinfornces the pettiness, cattyness, inferiority complexes, and unprofessional nature of some in podiatry.

Thank you.

Saw a comment in a derogatory vein re: plumbers, compared to a podiatry post graduate training, YR II.

Plumbers are truly needed, they meet integral needs, and do not create or define needs-that's a salesmen.

Many plumbers earn well over 6 figures and control their own shop rather, than being an employee and at the mercy of some corporate health "care" exec deciding what ya get paid, when ya get paid, if ya get paid, or slick of a pen and ya gone.

The arrogance of some thinking they are better or deserve special treatment because of an unknown triad of letters is laughable. And that goes for MDs, DMDs, and others. Every job is honorable. janitor to chief thief.

Plumbers are not dependent on ACA, ACOs, PPOs, HMOs, BOs, UFOs, lawyers, decreasing reimbursements, or jockying health "care" in a sinking ship country in a severe recession with no end in sight. That's economic reality for the 99%.

People are not going to stop paying for sanitation/clean water/plumbing in america.

They will think, twice, three times a lady, about paying out of pocket for podiatry service providers in this environ, especially when they have other more pressing medical issues, ie., rotting teeth, bloody sputum, and CHF. etc...

So the post-grad pediatric residecncy director can't bill, or get money from her/his trainees/lackies. So what, the hospital gets ~hundred thou per rezy. If radiographing his wife's foot is "unacceptable" it in the least, merely reinfornces the pettiness, cattyness, inferiority complexes, and unprofessional nature of some in podiatry.

Thank you.

Traum,

I'd suggest you re-read my post. You go off on a tangent defending plumbers as if I insulted the profession and that I think I'm holier than though because I have initials following my name.

If you read my post IN context, my point was that the residency director shouldn't have gotten angry since he is a second year podiatric resident treating his wife's foot injury, he's not a plumber treating the injury. It was not an insult, analogy, etc., it was simply a point that as a second year resident he should have the skills and capability of identifying and treating this injury, i.e. "it's not like he was a plumber " (treating a foot problem).

So your rant was not justified if you simply read the comment in context.