Resident Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novastorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any of the residents comment on the new rules concerning maximum hours and how its impacted your home/family/residency. Most of the posts here are fairly old any of you married, have kids *gasp*? Has anything changed much since 2003 (the last big lifestyle post)?

Members don't see this ad.

Can any of the residents comment on the new rules concerning maximum hours and how its impacted your home/family/residency. Most of the posts here are fairly old any of you married, have kids *gasp*? Has anything changed much since 2003 (the last big lifestyle post)?

I probably won't be able to provide you with any valuable advice because I have very little experience concerning neurosurgery.

However, it is one of the toughest residencies out there, if not THE toughest in my opinion. Neurosurgery is insanely competitive and sucks the life out of you during residency. I'm not saying this to discourage you, as neurosurgery is one of my options as well, but you have to be extremely driven and passionate about this field to go into it. Family/marriage life will have to come second.

Some neurosurgery residents out there are married and even a fewer number do have kids, but it is vital that the family understands the stress level and the time needed to be a neurosurgery resident. It is doable, but not without sacrifice.

When I interviewed, there were a fair number of residents who were married and had children. At some places a majority were married.