Resident Rights and Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-PGY1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if interns and residents out there have had similar experiences to me regarding their so called benefits. We have 12 sick days a year, and yesterday I used my 3rd sick day and was called by my attending and ordered to come in for as long as I could. I refused and really pissed him off.

Why the hell are they called benefits if I cant use them, and then if I do use them I am made to feel guilty?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It's called indentured servitude.

I'm with ya. My worst day was after working in the ER all night, (staffing a hospital as a resident by myself with an attending on "phone backup"), working in clinic all day before, and the day after. About 11:30 am the next day I puked and passed out.

I demanded a nap, laid on a couch for an hour while nurses brought me charts to sign, and finished the afternoon. I really thought I was going to die, and I'm not kidding about that either.

This is terrible. I just hope there is no long-term repercussion to this action. I there is, I really think that such an incident should be addressed to your resident union at your hospital if there is one. Good luck to you.

------------------
Adrian Zai
Scutwork.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies.

I did tell my program director what happened as well as having a lengthy discussion with my attending.

End result: I realized that it is not OK for me to disagree with my attendings. I thought it was OK to have a difference in opinion-my opinion was that my sick time deserves respect, my attendings opinion is that I have no time that deserves respect, my program directors opinion is "just hang in there after all you only have another month with this attending."

So in the end I've realized, when I dont assume the position, all I get is added stress.

I have contacted the CIR Union, but unfortunately we dont have a union in this state.

What's your program's policy regarding paternity leave? My wife is due during the third month of my internship. I didn't ask my program at the interview, since we didn't know she was pregnant at that time. I just wanted to see how other programs dealt with paternity leave.

Stinky,

Go to your programs' description on FREIDA. Each program lists info about these types of "benefits". The info regarding maternity/paternity leave is near the bottom of the page...along with the info about insurance benefits.

[This message has been edited by Neurogirl (edited March 31, 2001).]

Neurogirl,

Thanks for the info. I've already gone to that site, however. I'm not exactly sure how accurate the data is on that site. I've noticed many errors in the past.

tongue.gif
Stinky

One of the second year residents recently had a baby, she was given 4 wks maternity leave and took 2 weeks of vacation on top of that for a total of 6 wks. When it came time to resign our contract the poor lady only got a one month contract because according to the program-she needed to make up the time, which doesn't seem fair, does it?

Best of luck.

I find it so amusing that in the midst of managed care and health care reform, one key element has been left out of the equation:

Physician's rights.

Why? Tradition and public perception.

Of the former: "I went through it, so you should too."

Of the latter: "Hey, doc, when are you gonna let me take a spin in your new Mercedes?"

As much as I think we can all relate to PGY1-MD's infuriating and all-too-common occurences, the fact of the matter is that Congress is not about to pass a "Physician's Bill of Rights."

Ridiculous that air traffic controllers and pilots, who like us, have the lives of human beings in the palms of their hands are allowed to unionize and participate in collective bargaining, yet, we are not.

As discouraging as it may be, perhaps best to suck it up. That's what I did. Then, when it came time to apply for a PGY-2 position, I searched very carefully for a specialty and program that didn't resort to such childish and draconian tactics as to squeeze the life right out of me.

Call me crazy, but I find it very difficult to learn the art of medicine while being insulted and treated like a child at the tender age of 32.

You know what: life's too damned short. Find your niche, and do it for yourself, not to impress your teachers.

My priorities in life are as follows:

1. God
2. Family
3. Friends
4. Me
5. Everything else.

Keep this list in your pocket and refer to it from time to time. I promise, you can't go wrong.

Try to squeeze some time into the gym between 3 and 4 if you can.

good luck.

a

Last edited: