res1cue

7+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Status
So we have an EM resident room, and the way it used to be was a small room with 6 computers and a mini fridge and a coat rack. Mostly people would stick their bikes in there and occasionally use it to catch up on charting.

Recently we are trying to overhaul it. Took out 3 computers and added a couch. Also we added a small TV.

If you guys have/had resident rooms, what did you have that made it more comfortable/useful, and made it better for wellness? Or alternatively what would you wish it had? Looking for ideas on how to improve it while resident leadership is willing to spend a little money on it

About the Ads
OP
R

res1cue

7+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Status
Yeah pretty much, or a place to finish charts before you get gome so you arent interrupted a thousand times by nurses

Dr.McNinja

Nobel War Prize Winner
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah pretty much, or a place to finish charts before you get gome so you arent interrupted a thousand times by nurses
Yeah, chart at home. Or do it while working. But sticking around after your shift to finish charts in a special room is one of the circles of hell.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
If people need to put their bikes on there, maybe a few wall mounts for bikes would be useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooliganSnail

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
We have no resident room, we get a glorified closet.

There's not even enough room in there for everyone to have a hanger hook, so the interns have to put their stuff in another area.

Venko

True to self
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Rochester, MN
Status
Attending Physician
Our residents have 6 desktop computers, additional laptops, a big flat screen, small conference table, lockers, sofas, mailboxes, some office supplies, video game system, fridge, microwave (I think), small library, artwork, photos of residency classes, and a fax machine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

pkwraith

7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I usually go to my resident lounge for food. Our resident room has stocked fridge with soda/juices, sandwiches, hummus, etc, and a pantry for fruits and snack items.

Dre8

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2006
Status
Lots of good advice.

Do not bring a black light near the couch though.

About the Ads