Resident swap?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovelamp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there were a bunch of people in my class who were unhappy with their matches, so resident swap was brought up. I'm curious, is this a legit service? Why do they list PGY-1 positions on there if we are contractually bound by the NRMP for 1 year?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So there were a bunch of people in my class who were unhappy with their matches, so resident swap was brought up. I'm curious, is this a legit service? Why do they list PGY-1 positions on there if we are contractually bound by the NRMP for 1 year?:confused:

It's legitimate. It's a forum for posting open positions, but closed unless you pay the fee to view. So programs can post openings without having them be publicly searchable on the internet, and the fee is high enough that most people who sign up are motivated by finding a position. SDN is actually a co-owner, I think.

The NRMP allows switches between programs, if applicants obtain a waiver from them first (which requires telling your current PD you are interested in swapping).

So yeah, it's legit, but it's complicated and you should make sure you cross all your t's before going through with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Are we allowed to swap post match but before residency starts? I can't see any other reason why pgy 1 spots are posted...

Are we allowed to swap post match but before residency starts? I can't see any other reason why pgy 1 spots are posted...
I'm hoping someone can answer this question because I'm wondering the same thing and was about to start a thread on this. I definitely won't mind shelling out the money for residentswap if I could swap before residency starts.

If you have matched, you can't swap spots. Yes, you can apply for a waiver but they are only given if there is a new, serious reason why you can't go to your matched program. "I found a better spot" won't cut it.

PGY-1 spots are listed on residentswap because programs are looking for out-of-match candidates, or have an off cycle spot they are trying to fill.

Sigh I wish there was a grace period after the match where people could swap spots without a penalty. Also how would someone approach a PD regarding the possibility of leaving the residency either through resident swap or reapplying?

If you have matched, you can't swap spots. Yes, you can apply for a waiver but they are only given if there is a new, serious reason why you can't go to your matched program. "I found a better spot" won't cut it.

PGY-1 spots are listed on residentswap because programs are looking for out-of-match candidates, or have an off cycle spot they are trying to fill.
I may be wrong, but is it true if both the PD's(the prog. you matched to and the prog. youre trying to get to) have an mutual agreement that waiver is granted.

Are the majority of these residents looking to swap into a different program within the same specialty, or are they swapping into an entirely different residency?

I may be wrong, but is it true if both the PD's(the prog. you matched to and the prog. youre trying to get to) have an mutual agreement that waiver is granted.
You are (mostly) wrong.

Here's the scoop. If two applicants want to trade spots, and two programs are truly happy with the trade, then really there is no problem.

However, that's pretty unlikely. What's much more likely is that Matched Resident A and Matched Resident B decide that they would like to switch. They now contact me (let's say I'm PD at the program where Resident A has matched) and ask if it's OK. That puts me in a tough spot. Let's say I don't think Resident B is acceptable. I would need to say no, and know that Resident A will now be unhappy. Or, resident A could say "approve the swap or I'll resign anyway".

You may say, all of that would be fine. But what about the other way? Let's say I match you, but then in the scramble is someone great from my medical school. Or, someone who was higher on my rank list calls me and says they feel like they made a mistake and wants to swap. Now I call you and tell you that I need you to swap with Resident B. And, you worry that if you don't, I'm going to make your life miserable. Maybe I will, maybe I won't, but you'll worry about it and might feel pressured to swap even though you don't want to.

So, in general the NRMP only waives matches if there is an overriding reason to do so. If you've had a major life event, etc. If you completely change your mind about what field you want, they might give you a waiver BUT it's a match violation to look for a new spot first -- so you'd need to resign your spot, get a waiver, and then look for a new spot (that might or might not exist).

You are (mostly) wrong.

Here's the scoop. If two applicants want to trade spots, and two programs are truly happy with the trade, then really there is no problem.

However, that's pretty unlikely. What's much more likely is that Matched Resident A and Matched Resident B decide that they would like to switch. They now contact me (let's say I'm PD at the program where Resident A has matched) and ask if it's OK. That puts me in a tough spot. Let's say I don't think Resident B is acceptable. I would need to say no, and know that Resident A will now be unhappy. Or, resident A could say "approve the swap or I'll resign anyway".

You may say, all of that would be fine. But what about the other way? Let's say I match you, but then in the scramble is someone great from my medical school. Or, someone who was higher on my rank list calls me and says they feel like they made a mistake and wants to swap. Now I call you and tell you that I need you to swap with Resident B. And, you worry that if you don't, I'm going to make your life miserable. Maybe I will, maybe I won't, but you'll worry about it and might feel pressured to swap even though you don't want to.

So, in general the NRMP only waives matches if there is an overriding reason to do so. If you've had a major life event, etc. If you completely change your mind about what field you want, they might give you a waiver BUT it's a match violation to look for a new spot first -- so you'd need to resign your spot, get a waiver, and then look for a new spot (that might or might not exist).

Thanks for the response. That makes a lot of sense.
Also is it better to reapply or try to switch residencies?

I'm in the similar boat. I'm grateful to have matched into a competitive Prelim Medicine spot, but I've had a change of heart and think that would really like to do Peds. I understand that I'm contractually obligated and I know that it will be really good training--- but it won't help me that much for a residency in Peds (and I likely will not get any credit)..

What is the best way to approach this with a new PD? Is switching more or less difficult if you are in a 1-year commitment?

thanks

You are (mostly) wrong.

Again showing why this system and this organization are completely flawed, imo.

I guess in my opinion, you can be treated like dirt by an employee or employer with or without the NRMP intervention...so who needs them.

Again showing why this system and this organization are completely flawed, imo.

I guess in my opinion, you can be treated like dirt by an employee or employer with or without the NRMP intervention...so who needs them.

If you think the system is dirt, then don't enter the Match.

What if I matched in a place away from my husband ... 12 hours drive. Later found out that the hospital where my husband lives has an open spot, would it be easier to get a waiver from NRMP?

What if I matched in a place away from my husband ... 12 hours drive. Later found out that the hospital where my husband lives has an open spot, would it be easier to get a waiver from NRMP?
I don't think so. The NRMP will see it this way:
  • You chose to match 12 hours away.
  • You could have applied to the program where your husband lives/works, and possibly matched there.
  • If you did apply and didn't match there, then they chose others over you.

If this is a new spot that didn't exist before the match, you might be able to make an argument. Still, I doubt it would be granted.

If you think the system is dirt, then don't enter the Match.

1. It is crap.
2. Unfortunately, those before the current crop of medical students have allowed one organization to have a monopoly on getting post-graduate training...which just so happens to be the only way I know of to make use of our degrees. So, unfortunately, we have to use this system.
3. I would have been happy to sign outside the match. For all their talk of "integrity, professionalism, and ethics" they don't seem to know the meaning of any of those words.

Why is this post from 2011? Six years ago... does this not apply any longer ?

Where is the THREAD that EXPLAINS everything that has changed within ERAS and the Match since this time? and why...

Its a great website and I highly recommend it. Its peanuts compared to the actual ERAS application if you are truly wanted to consider your options.

I don't think so. The NRMP will see it this way:
  • You chose to match 12 hours away.
  • You could have applied to the program where your husband lives/works, and possibly matched there.
  • If you did apply and didn't match there, then they chose others over you.

If this is a new spot that didn't exist before the match, you might be able to make an argument. Still, I doubt it would be granted.

What if the couples match failed you? I didn't chose to match 6 hours away from my SO.... that's just how it worked out/we just had a difficult situation in the first place. I'm wondering if that is a good excuse because my grief is not with the position/program, it's with being so far away from my SO

What if the couples match failed you? I didn't chose to match 6 hours away from my SO.... that's just how it worked out/we just had a difficult situation in the first place. I'm wondering if that is a good excuse because my grief is not with the position/program, it's with being so far away from my SO

You still chose this result as a possibility when you put your match list in. You can always try, but there is a good chance you won't succeed.