Resident Work Hour Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some of those stories are really disturbing and sad.

Originally posted by Centrum
Some of those stories are really disturbing and sad.

Aren't they all?? :( Does anyone ever wonder why we are all in med school???

lizzy...:cool:

wow, that's beyond messed up. Wishing your patients would die? Working 100 hours a week for 3-5 years can do that to someone's pysche i guess. :(

lets just hope those new guidelines for resident hours have some teeth to them.

Originally posted by lizzy21

Aren't they all?? :( Does anyone ever wonder why we are all in med school???

blingbling and bitchez... DUH!

Those stories do suck. Hopefully new laws will be implemented before I go through residency.

Originally posted by phllystyl

blingbling and bitchez... DUH!

huh?? :confused:

Makes so much sense now! :cool:

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
By way of translation, he means "money and women". Go figure.

:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by riley290
Those stories do suck. Hopefully new laws will be implemented before I go through residency.

Programs under the jurisdiction of the RRC have until July 1, 2003 to comply with the new restrictions (ie, average 80 hr workweek, no more than 24+6 hrs on straight, call no more than q3, 10 hrs off between shifts, average 1 full day off a week, etc.) Many programs are already shifting into these changes, and while I'm still working more than 80 hrs per week, its a lot better than it used to be (however, I do think I'm not on call enough).

Some of those stories are scary. That is kind of bad, they should change a little the times residents spend working. But I doubt they will the system is old and set in it's ways.

They allready have.

Programs under the jurisdiction of the RRC have until July 1, 2003 to comply with the new restrictions (ie, average 80 hr workweek, no more than 24+6 hrs on straight, call no more than q3, 10 hrs off between shifts, average 1 full day off a week, etc.) Many programs are already shifting into these changes, and while I'm still working more than 80 hrs per week, its a lot better than it used to be (however, I do think I'm not on call enough).

It was posted on the first page of this thread.

Thanks to Centrum for quoting my earlier post which addressed resident work hours. Programs which want to remain accredited will HAVE to comply with the RRC regulations after July 1, 2003 (note that not all programs are accredited or under RRC rules, but any allopathic program to which you apply and match should be). Yale has been made an example of (see earlier threads dealing with their "punishment") and programs are forced to comply.

In the words of a surgeon here,"...we (surgery programs) have remained resistant to change and making work hour decreases, so now its being done for us. If we want control, WE have to make the changes - but we were too egocentric to do that and now its too late."

RRC regulations apply to all residencies (not just surgery). Things will be better for all new residents - I find that we're much busier during the day and have to cross-cover services to make the changes, but its much better than before.

Originally posted by DW
wow, that's beyond messed up. Wishing your patients would die? .

Sounds like 'The House of God' by Dr. Samuel Shem.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Thanks to Centrum for quoting my earlier post which addressed resident work hours. Programs which want to remain accredited will HAVE to comply with the RRC regulations after July 1, 2003 (note that not all programs are accredited or under RRC rules, but any allopathic program to which you apply and match should be). Yale has been made an example of (see earlier threads dealing with their "punishment") and programs are forced to comply.

I don't know about "this--my program already has several mechanisms in place to have us all work frequent 36 hour shifts in each of the 3 years on a "voluntary" basis and/or other ways of making it look like we aren't really doing that. I don't think anyone would ever report them--no one would support you, people would "?nterpret the reality" differently etc. oh well. (we need a smilie that looks like someone half-asleep!)

gherelin...

Well, that's unfortunate, to say the least and blatantly against regulation (or what will become regulation). We have been expressly told that we are not to "volunteer" to stay and do cases, see patients, etc. lest it appear that "volunteering" is expected. Will people report the program if they are in violation - some very well might. What does a Prelim going into another field have to lose by telling RRC that his program makes him work 36 hour shifts, some q2 call, etc.?

I expect that things will adjust and eventually settle out, but there will be changes over the course of this year. For example, we've just been told that we CAN operate and go to clinic, during those 6 hours post-call as this "contributes to the continuity of patient care". New consults, new ED hits, etc. can't be seen, but any known patient to the service can. Good for me, it means I can do smaller cases in the am. :D

yeah, the wierd thing is that the IM program here is on probation already for work hour violations but FP doesn't seem to care. Unless I'm interpreting the rules incorrectly...? We have shifts where we come in in the am, work the full day, oncall over night usually getting no sleep or even time to run to cafeteria, then a full day in hospital or seeing clinic patients and/or mandatory conferences until 5 or later the next day....