Resident Workflow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MouseChair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Happy to have matched in Diagnostic Rads this cycle. Looking ahead, I am thinking of ways to optimize learning at the workstation. I understand the basic schedule of reading from 8-11, signing out w/ the attending, and repeating in afternoon. But how do you guys specifically take notes on each case? DO you recommend getting something like an iPad to use at the workstation? How do you study after hours and best prepare for the day ahead?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I use my laptop to take notes while reading out with attendings. This has worked fine for me as I can keep it plugged in, but if outlet space is an issue iPads or Surfaces offer better battery life. I take notes in Evernote so I can search through notes whenever a similar case comes up. At my workstation, I always have StatDx and E-anatomy open for references.

The expectation as an R1 is that you study after work, but this has been hit or miss for me as I'm often mentally tired as soon as I get home. To that end, doing things like questions on RadPrimer, watching radiology videos, and reading Radiographics articles on high yield topics has worked better than, say, trying to get through pages of a textbook.

All that being said, I would not worry about this stuff at this stage. Just focus on getting through intern year without too much burnout.

Hi guys,
Happy to have matched in Diagnostic Rads this cycle. Looking ahead, I am thinking of ways to optimize learning at the workstation. I understand the basic schedule of reading from 8-11, signing out w/ the attending, and repeating in afternoon. But how do you guys specifically take notes on each case? DO you recommend getting something like an iPad to use at the workstation? How do you study after hours and best prepare for the day ahead?

Thanks

As a resident you preview cases and dictate them. You save the dictation as draft. The Attending will come by at some point and review the cases with you. You should be looking at the case, explaining what you saw and what you think is happening, and listening to what the Attending says. This is your opportunity to ask questions. After the read out you edit the dictation and sign it to the Attending.

If you aren't editing the dictation on the fly you should take notes about what to change in your drafted dictation. You should not be taking lecture type notes during a read out.

Members don't see this ad :)
what time do residents typically start / end the day? and do R1's also work 6 days a wk?

7:30-8:00 start and 4:30-5:30 end
Work is 5 days a week plus some extra late shifts, overnight shifts, and weekend shifts.