DrMeowMeow

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I tried looking in other threads, but couldn't find the answer to my question. I'm currently a DO intern in an ACGME residency and want to apply for the Resolution 42 waiver. I've read the requirements and am still confused about the logistics. The requirements say I have to submit my OMM powerpoint presentation within 2 months of conducting it, and I need a verification letter sent from my program (after June 30, 2017) after my internship is over to verify that I presented my OMM lecture and that I completed the intern rotations.

If I did my presentation in October 2016, am I supposed to submit my application within 2 months of that without the verification letter?

Also, when should I renew my AOA membership? If I renew this year, it will expire on May 31st, 2017, but I cannot get my verification letter until after June 30th, 2017. Does that mean I would have to pay to renew my AOA membership again for June 2017-May 2018 for my application to be approved? Or would I only have to be an AOA member during my internship year? Can i just not renew my membership this year and just get membership next year?

Thank you to anyone who has been through this process and can help clarify my questions.

Last edited:

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
It has been a while since I applied for Resolution 42 BUT if I recall ... you apply and submit your OMM presentation (or attend the national AOA conference if your program allows) ... and send the verification from your program director that you presented your OMM lecture when you apply. Your "application" will be put on hold pending verification that you completed your intern year (the letter your PD sends after PGY1) ... then the AOA will approve, stating that you completed an AOA-approved intern year.

You must be an AOA member in good standing at the time of application until it is approved. If you can time your "membership" to start just before you apply, then hopefully you will still be a member when your intern year completes. If not, I would renew it for one more year. Afterwards, whether you want to remain a member or not is completely up to you.

Reactions: hallowmann

apevo8

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It has been a while since I applied for Resolution 42 BUT if I recall ... you apply and submit your OMM presentation (or attend the national AOA conference if your program allows) ... and send the verification from your program director that you presented your OMM lecture when you apply. Your "application" will be put on hold pending verification that you completed your intern year (the letter your PD sends after PGY1) ... then the AOA will approve, stating that you completed an AOA-approved intern year.

You must be an AOA member in good standing at the time of application until it is approved. If you can time your "membership" to start just before you apply, then hopefully you will still be a member when your intern year completes. If not, I would renew it for one more year. Afterwards, whether you want to remain a member or not is completely up to you.
Agree with this. Another resident a year ahead of me did the presentation thing and they denied it the first time so she had to re-write and it submit it again. The requirement isn't for a national AOA conference, it could be local as well. I went to a local one and submitted that and I was approved. Keep in mind that I did an internal medicine preliminary year which met most of the requirements. All I had to in addition was do a month of family medicine and radiology to meet the other requirements. The exact requirements for what they will accept is available on the AOA website. Print it out and discuss with your program about how to facilitate it.

OP
DrMeowMeow

DrMeowMeow

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for replying guys! So would it be okay for me to not renew my membership this year and just get membership for June 2017-June 2018 when I'm a 2nd year resident? I can just wait until then to submit the application, get my program to send the verification letter in July 2017 and do my OMT presentation then too. I was mainly worried if they would reject my application for not having membership in intern year.