1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

resonance question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by joonkimdds, Dec 28, 2008.

1. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I don't know how to solve these questions.
    Both of them are about resonance.
    For the first one, how do I know which one can stabilize?

For the second one, what does it by an important resonance form?
    Does that mean which one is most stable? Like less charges(then I think D is correct), more electronegative atom with negative charge (A,B,C)?

Answer for the first one is E and the second one is B.

2. sciencegod

sciencegod Super Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    the question is asking which one has a second resonadnce fomrm (somethng with resonance stabilizes it).
    question 2 is which one would be a good resonacne form. re3view resonacne if you dont know how to do this. the minus(2 electonsd) will move to make a bond bet c and h and that will force the electorns from the pi c=o bond to move to O.

3. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Let me guess. For both questions, the one with - charge should be bonded to the atom that is double bonded to something. Is that the right way to solve this type of problems?

4. sciencegod

sciencegod Super Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yhea i think thats a a good way of looking at it.

5. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Look there is simple way to approach this. Just move electrons (i.e. something that is from a double bond or from a - charge oxygen or positively charged N) now try to move it anywhere without moving ANYTHING (cant move H or anything of that sort (only electrons). For the first one there are 2 possible answer choices, or i might be seeing things its 2AM lol and im not thinking very clearly. lol. Now for the first for B. The double bond that oyu see that connects the O to the C. You can move the electrons up and get a negative charge on the O and a positve cahrge on the C. This btw is very unstable and unhappy<<<<< NOTE One resonance structrure can be formed. THIS IS SUCH A POORLY WORDED QUESTION!!!! now for E. You have 2 possible resonance structures. First you can pull the negative charge down and form a double bond, and at the same time, move the double bond closest to the O to the carbon next to it to give a negative charge on the C, BTW happier then the friend without the electrons. C is electronegative (electron hogger). Then wat you can do for the second form is kick those 2 electrons down and push second double bond over the carbon that is meta( i think that means the one completely opposite it, i dont remember but correct me if im wrong) giving it a negative charge. Then u will end up with 2 resonance structures. Now this Q is REALLY STUPID. REALLY STUPID. Y? cuz it said which is stablized by resonance? Now B can be stabilized by resonance, but E does a better job of it, so thats a stupid and tricky one. I HOPE I DONT GET SOMETHING THAT STUPID ON MY DAT. I hope this helps. Gluck

6. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The most important concept when it comes to resonance is that you must understand that there can hundreds of resonance structures. But only a few are good ones.

KEY rules:
    Don't put charges on a carbon.

Put charges on Oxygen and Nitrogen (neg for Oxygen and pos for Nitrogen)

Charges in the allylic position from a double bond are not bad, charges in the benzylic positions are actually well-stabilized.

Positive chages next to negative charges are very stable, but the one in the 2nd question is ridiculous because you can make a bond and get rid of both of them.