Resources for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blkprl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Intern year is just around the corner, I was wondering what resources that other first year residents have used to survive first year.

I know for internal medicine there is the washington manual, scutmonkey etc....

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Search the forum as there are several threads on this. But briefly:

Little Red Book (many programs give out free ones)
Danforth (good basic overview of both OB and GYN)
Gabbe or Williams (as a reference for OB)
Te Linde (as a reference for GYN)
Speroff (as a reference for REI)
DeSaia (as a reference for ONC)

Good luck!

Search the forum as there are several threads on this. But briefly:

Little Red Book (many programs give out free ones)
Danforth (good basic overview of both OB and GYN)
Gabbe or Williams (as a reference for OB)
Te Linde (as a reference for GYN)
Speroff (as a reference for REI)
DeSaia (as a reference for ONC)

Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful information.

Are there any handy pocket books?

Members don't see this ad :)
The red book is pocket sized.

Go for the little pink book, Comprehensive Handbook, "Obstetrics & Gynecology" by Thmas Zheng, MD. $25 at amazon.com has everything including how to dictate procedures, medical Spanish.

I've been looking for "Obstetrics & Gynecology" by Thomas Zheng, MD. for a few weeks now, and have been unable to find it (on amazon either!)

The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Gynecology isn't bad, either. It's kinda big but can still squeeze into your white coat pocket. It has more background than the some other books that are more focused on diagnosis and treatment.

I don't think the Zheng book is made electronically at all. I know you can buy the Red Book electronically but I haven't done so as I have a paper copy and that would be a waste of money IMO.

Does anyone have electronic copies of any of these texts? :)

I certainly will prefer electronic copies as well! :thumbup:

But the only one available in electronic form that I can find right now is the Red Book. But even then the iBook version cost more than twice as much as the paper copy! Freaking highway robbers! And while online reviews of the paper version are excellent, the iBook version got very poor reviews - poor enough to discourage me from buying.

I was pretty disappointed that in this day and age they don't have electronic versions of these big books just yet. :mad: What a shame.

I guess we're not done logging around 100-lb books just yet. :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

I certainly will prefer electronic copies as well! :thumbup:

But the only one available in electronic form that I can find right now is the Red Book. But even then the iBook version cost more than twice as much as the paper copy! Freaking highway robbers! And while online reviews of the paper version are excellent, the iBook version got very poor reviews - poor enough to discourage me from buying.

I was pretty disappointed that in this day and age they don't have electronic versions of these big books just yet. :mad: What a shame.

I guess we're not done logging around 100-lb books just yet. :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

Eh, I prefer the books. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like the idea of one day having a bookshelf full of ob/gyn books that I've used (whether it's in my office or at home due to newer versions out). I get sick of staring at a computer after a while and sometimes it's nice to have the real thing in front of you to flip through on a whim. Then again, I also prefer real books for leisure reading as well, and would never want a kindle/nook/etc. To each their own. :)

One thing to note if you do a search of the Obstetrics and Gynecology by Zheng is to search for the 2nd edition. I spent forever just putting in "ObGyn Zheng", and I would get that the 1st edition has limited copies. It is a bit $ for me, but I'm guessing its because it comes in a nice pink leather-looking bound book. From perusing, it looks like a great book and i've heard wonderful things about it!

I just bought the Zheng book and it's red. It is nice imitaion leather though. But seems to be worth the money. I am also one who prefers books for a multitude of reasons. There is no way to misconstrue what you are doing with a book whereas looking something up electronically on your phone or other device in the middle of rounds you may still be looked at like you aren't paying attention or are texting or doing some other undesirable activity. Sometimes you can make it clear what you are doing by saying so but I don't think that is appropriate all the time. I'm sure this is changing but considering how much we were warned as medical students to avoid using our phones I'm sure its still an issue.

definitely agree with the above...I moreso meant electronic textbooks though, that I can put on my iPad.

I can't order this in Canada!

Any Americans want to help me out?

Last edited:
They won't ship to Canada. I don't know why.

Thanks for the recommendations. Just picked up the ones my program didn't provide.