Resources to Improve MCAT test-taking skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daRomo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First let me fill you in on where I'm coming from. I'm getting ready to retake the MCAT at the end of the summer (either end of August or beginning of September). I took the MCAT for the first time in January: Total: 27, VR:10, PS:8, BS:9. My goal is to score a 32 this next time.

Here's the deal: Looking back at my first MCAT experience, I studied very hard (9-11 hours/day for a little over a month) using Kaplan's books and practice tests, Exam Cracker Audio Osmosis, AAMC practice tests and felt pretty comfortable with the material. I feel like what did me in was that fact that come test day, despite feeling confident about the concepts, I wasn't comfortable with cracking the test itself. I took three full practice tests (one before studying as a diagnostic and two after the bulk of my studying) and lots of practice questions, but still felt intimidated by the passage format of the MCAT on the PS and BS sections on test day. It was frustrating because I know I can handle the material. I graduated cum laude from an Ivy League university with a 3.67 GPA in neurobiology. I wasn't the best student in my science classes, but with hard work I excelled in them.

As I prepare to study again, I know I need to do things differently if I want different results.
MAIN POINT: Does anyone know of any online or printed resources that can help me with MCAT test-taking strategies - in particular dealing with and mastering the MCAT passage style? Is there anything beyond taking lots of practice tests that can help me overcome my test-taking weaknesses? (see above for details). I would REALLY appreciate any thoughtful advice. All the best friends.

Members don't see this ad.