Respect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

songaila

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The pod that I was talking to today saying that he loves his job except the respect from the MDs. Any student pods here rotating at the hospitals have that kind of problems? Are you treated equal? I guess some doctors just don't know that type of the training that the pods have.

Also, can anybody shed some light on admitting the patients. I heard in NYC that they are changing the law that the pods can admitt their patients.(maybe it is a national thing). I don't know the pros and cons for that. I mean people go to the FP to get referals anyway, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The pod that I was talking to today saying that he loves his job except the respect from the MDs. Any student pods here rotating at the hospitals have that kind of problems? Are you treated equal? I guess some doctors just don't know that type of the training that the pods have.

Also, can anybody shed some light on admitting the patients. I heard in NYC that they are changing the law that the pods can admitt their patients.(maybe it is a national thing). I don't know the pros and cons for that. I mean people go to the FP to get referals anyway, thank you.

I've only seen 1 MD that had attitude. He is a jerk to everyone, and the best part is he is only a 2nd year general surgical resident. He got an attitude with the pods when we request a consult on a BKA. The problem was he started being an rear end with the wrong people. The CMO of the hospital is a pod. After a call to his attending and chief, and a personal conversation, he was very nice and helpful.

Everyone else I have interacted with have nothing but love. A few doctors I have worked with have said that they like the pod students more b/c we are hard working, very respectful, knowledgeable, and willing to read.

I've rotated all over the place and have never had any problems with the respect issue. It is usually limited to pre-meds and beginning med students. Concerning admitting patients, it depends on the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have rotated in NYC at the NYCPM affiliated hospitals. Each student's experience is different.

Things that I have seen that I consider lack of respect from MDs to Pods, and even PA's to Pods is based on the reputation that the pods have built for themselves by only cutting nails in the hospital based clinics or barely doing surgical cases even when necessary. This is mostly at one hospital.

I could go on but I won't.

I think most of it comes from the reputations built from the past. When the laws are changed in NYC and the newer pods start taking over I think the respect thing will change.

Everyone else I have interacted with have nothing but love. A few doctors I have worked with have said that they like the pod students more b/c we are hard working, very respectful, knowledgeable, and willing to read.

If you're looking to be seen as equals as colleagues, I would avoid saying one-upping things like this. Even if this anecdote is true, it does nothing to foster collegial relationships and is ripe fodder for a flame war.

If you're looking to be seen as equals as colleagues, I would avoid saying one-upping things like this. Even if this anecdote is true, it does nothing to foster collegial relationships and is ripe fodder for a flame war.

This is 100% true and has nothing to do with one upping, but thanks for your useless comment.

This whole thread has turned useless.

This whole thread has turned useless.

We got another one, Feelgood! Don't let him get away!

You hold him down while I shave his eyebrows off.

We got another one, Feelgood! Don't let him get away!

You hold him down while I shave his eyebrows off.

I don't know he looks wiry, we might have to taser him first. Can we also draw genitalia on his face with a permanent marker?

what a couple of twats

Status
Not open for further replies.