Responding to interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdevil5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon after receiving an invite should I respond? Could I thank them for the invitation and say that I will schedule an interview date as soon as I firm up my elective schedule? Or can I just wait to respond and set a date when I'm sure I can go? That would mean responding within the next few weeks.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, most people recommending responding ASAP. Some offer more interview invitations than they have slots.

Programs understand that scheduling interviews isn't easy--applicants are trying to see the greatest number of programs possible with limited time and financial resources. On the other hand, programs want to fill their interview slate with applicants who seem interested and enthusiastic about their invitation.

Acknowledging the invitation is a good idea, and explaining your reluctance to schedule based on electives would probably not raise any red flags with the program that invited you. But don't wait too long to get back with them if you are really interested in that program or your perfect interview date might already be full.

I've seen and heard multiple stories of students waiting and when they respond the interview slot has been given away. As noted above, some programs invite more people than they actually have room for and its "first come, first served".

I would go ahead and book the interview and either arrange my elective schedule around it, or if need be, try and reschedule at a later date.

So I've gotten two invites thus far. One is at a program I'm in not extremely interested in and another at a program that's near the top of my list. I scheduled the one that I'm not that interested in for early in the interview season (November) and I'm trying to decide for the other one. Is it better to interview later at the programs your most interested in so they are more likely to remember you? Does it matter?

Thanks!

So I've gotten two invites thus far. One is at a program I'm in not extremely interested in and another at a program that's near the top of my list. I scheduled the one that I'm not that interested in for early in the interview season (November) and I'm trying to decide for the other one. Is it better to interview later at the programs your most interested in so they are more likely to remember you? Does it matter?

Thanks!

It probably doesn't matter much either way, but conventional wisdom has it that interviewing at programs you prefer is better later, so you are more polished and seasoned in your interview.

It probably doesn't matter much either way, but conventional wisdom has it that interviewing at programs you prefer is better later, so you are more polished and seasoned in your interview.

Playing Devil's advocate...

At the end of the intereview season applicants tend to get tired which makes it harder for them to convey interest. Conversely, department faculty and residents have been recruiting for a while and may have a little let-down in energy as well. The timing of your interview doesn't matter to the program, but the level of your enthusiasm on display does. Often we see great people in November, and they become the standard to which later applicants get measured.

Playing Devil's advocate...

At the end of the intereview season applicants tend to get tired which makes it harder for them to convey interest. Conversely, department faculty and residents have been recruiting for a while and may have a little let-down in energy as well. The timing of your interview doesn't matter to the program, but the level of your enthusiasm on display does. Often we see great people in November, and they become the standard to which later applicants get measured.

I wasn't suggesting she save the interview until last as I agree with you...people get burned out. I'm suggesting she not interview at her preferred program first off.

I wasn't suggesting she save the interview until last as I agree with you...people get burned out. I'm suggesting she not interview at her preferred program first off.

So basically it doesn't matter when you interview, its just better to have a few under your belt before you go the ones you really want?

So basically it doesn't matter when you interview, its just better to have a few under your belt before you go the ones you really want?

That's it in theory. In practice, you'll have to schedule interviews when the programs have open dates that correspond with your travel needs. The timing may not always feel optimal, but don't let that become a source of stress. You can always make it work!

My tips for a successful interview experience would be: 1) maintain a good level of energy throughout the day--this gets conveyed as enthusiasm, 2) familiarize yourself with the program by reading their website, 3)participate in whatever pre-interview activities are planned (hospitality suite, dinner, breakfast, etc), 4) be polite to EVERYONE, 5) smile, and 6) maintain some level of contact with either some of the residents you met there, the coordinator, or the PD (unless you are told that contact isn't welcome).

Programs are impressed by and interested in you already, or you wouldn't have recieved the invitation. Your personality can shine through, making you memorable, whether you visit a program early - mid - or late in the process.

has anyone traveled with lets say their significant other to the interviews... i mean is it appropriate?

thanks bunches

has anyone traveled with lets say their significant other to the interviews... i mean is it appropriate?

thanks bunches

Of course. As a matter of fact, in some programs, your SO is invited to the dinner (whether or not you should bring him/her is fodder for lengthy discussion). Presuming your SO would be accompanying you to the area for residency, it makes sense for them to come to evaluate their own job potential, desire to live in the location, etc.

Absolutely. As WS points out, this person will theoretically be accompanying you if you match somewhere so it's only fair that s/he get at least a small taste of the location before you make your rank list. With a very few exceptions, my wife came w/ me on all of my interview trips and came to the dinners the night before as well.

If on the other hand, you're asking if your SO/spouse should come to the actual interview with you, then you have more issues than anyone on an internet message board can help you with.

If on the other hand, you're asking if your SO/spouse should come to the actual interview with you, then you have more issues than anyone on an internet message board can help you with.

It shows unity if your SO is carrying you into the interview on his/her back like a rented mule.

And be sure to have your SO stand behind the interviewer with giant cue cards. You can really sidestep the tough questions that way.

Hey guys,

I've been waiting on average about 2 days between getting an invite and responding. Is this making me look disinterested? In truth I'm just trying to figure out where to fit everything.

I've tried to respond back as soon as I can. I had one place which I was not able to respond to their invitation until I came home from the hospital that afternoon (invitation came out in the morning). My first and second choice dates for interviews were both already full. :eek:

I would respond as soon as possible. for one program I waited 2 days (trying to find a feasible date) and after I emailed, they haven't emailed back in >1 week. looks like they filled my spot and are too cowardly to say so :thumbdown:

I waited 2 days for one program and got a response immediately, but I made sure to apologize for the late response and told them that I was immensely busy (which was true, didn't have a chance to get to a comp) I think it depends on the program and how many they invite. But I've been getting back ASAP for the majority and would recc this approach first as well!

I had a program invite me through snail mail (no email). Sent 9/25/09, didn't even get it until 10/7/09. I was rotating elsewhere and it took that long for it to get forwarded to my new address. Had I not filled out a change of address, I wouldn't have received it for a month.

I still ended up getting a pretty convenient interview date, but seriously, what is this, 1973? Snail mail sucks. :thumbdown:

What are the options for replying to an interview invite? Do programs request emails or phone calls? I'm asking because I'm going to be on my AI next month in the MICU and am worried that I won't have time to respond to invites during the day via phone (ie might not be able to get away). Any ideas about email?