Responding to Why X School (for secondaries)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For secondaries, since many schools ask, Why do you want to attend X school? appreciate any insight on what makes a good/bad response. (from accepted candidates)

i.e. would you emphasize, "X school has a strong [ ] department, and because of my research, I am interested in {x disease].
Would you talk about your own clinical experiences?
Or would you say, because of the PBL curriculum etc?

However, how would responses like, "Because I'm interested in the student scholars research program"...be perceived...(too general?)

I am wondering about Georgetown because they ask for a whole page (according to previous SDN posts) to this response.

Members don't see this ad.

Med01 said:
For secondaries, since many schools ask, Why do you want to attend X school? appreciate any insight on what makes a good/bad response. (from accepted candidates)

i.e. would you emphasize, "X school has a strong [ ] department, and because of my research, I am interested in {x disease].
Would you talk about your own clinical experiences?
Or would you say, because of the PBL curriculum etc?

However, how would responses like, "Because I'm interested in the student scholars research program"...be perceived...(too general?)

I am wondering about Georgetown because they ask for a whole page (according to previous SDN posts) to this response.

They are asking why YOU want to.......?

Tell them exactly why you like X school. Dont give a cookie cutter, happily Shrek ever after ending. Tell them what makes you so interested that you are willing to spend X amt of dollars on a secondary app (when you are not even guaranteed anything fruitful in return) and then willing to spend at least four years with them.

Explain how it ties together your personality and what you want to get out of attending X school.