"Why Us?" Secondary -- Parent got a Master's There

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shootbigshootbigger

Reaction score
Hi!

I am completing the "Why Us?" secondary question for a school my parent got an engineering Master's from. They had no affiliation with the medical program but really enjoyed their time there. Can I briefly mention this in my response?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am completing the "Why Us?" secondary question for a school my parent got an engineering Master's from. They had no affiliation with the medical program but really enjoyed their time there. Can I briefly mention this in my response?

Didn't you mention this in your primary application under parental education? It will be obvious there.

Didn't you mention this in your primary application under parental education? It will be obvious there.
Personally, I don't see why the OP shouldn't mention this on the secondary. There will always be some repetition throughout the application process from the primary app to secondary app to the interview, which is acceptable as long as each mention reveals something new. In my opinion, it's perfectly fine to say that one's parent studied there and had good things to say about the university and city (something that wouldn't be obvious from just the family background section). Of course, their answer should contain other reasons too! Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't see why the OP shouldn't mention this on the secondary. There will always be some repetition throughout the application process from the primary app to secondary app to the interview, which is acceptable as long as each mention reveals something new. In my opinion, it's perfectly fine to say that one's parent studied there and had good things to say about the university and city (something that wouldn't be obvious from just the family background section). Of course, their answer should contain other reasons too! Just my thoughts.
I was going to go there. It shouldn't be the only reason. :) you can list it as a "by the way" at the end.

Of course this relationship won't confer a big "legacy" bump compared to someone who graduated from the same program. Nowadays, we see applicants whose siblings or parents graduated from a PA program run by the medical school... or vice versa.

Reactions: 1 users