Restraining Order and Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thr0waway

Reaction score
I’ve been lucky enough to have an acceptance and I’m excited to start medical school in August. I had a clean record while applying and when my school conducted the AAMC background check in January.

However, since then I have been served with a petition for a domestic violence restraining order from my ex-girlfriend. I am currently fighting this and have retained an attorney as the allegations are false but I know that the temporary RO is in law enforcement database.

The hospital affiliated with my school will be conducting a live scan fingerprint background check next month and I do not know whether or not the trial will be complete by then. Should I notify the school about my situation or leave it be as it is not final? Will I have an issue gaining full acceptance even if this is a civil matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Just so you know. A police officer in MA sees restraining orders when doing a background check. Not sure about your state.

I would suggest being forthright about this. In MA even if the restraining order is vacated, it remains in background checks. Better to be able to talk to this and be ahead of this, then the school finds out. Would you ex call and notify them....would not look ideal to them.

Also, discuss the legal part of this with your attorney. You may need to disclose this when applying for medical licenses, even if the order is vacated.

Wook

Reactions: 1 users