Restraining orders and medical license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tom Smith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been accepted to medical school already, but now an ex of mine is threatening to take out a restraining order on me. We had a bad breakup. I never threatened her though I did say some pretty mean things about her in emails and texts which she has.

I am wondering if this will make me ineligible for a medical license in the future. I have no intention of ever contacting her again and we don't even live in the same city anymore.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I have been accepted to medical school already, but now an ex of mine is threatening to take out a restraining order on me. We had a bad breakup. I never threatened her though I did say some pretty mean things about her in emails and texts which she has.

I am wondering if this will make me ineligible for a medical license in the future. I have no intention of ever contacting her again and we don't even live in the same city anymore.

Thank you for your help.
Unless you have legal charges of sorts, no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I question your character...

bitches-be-crazy-newtons-law.jpg
b088b786ea7b5245275d90520bbb6a9613b1ef339edaafc40124510337363671.jpg

Take your pick. There are so many good one.

Regardless of wither a medical license is on the line you need to grow up and learn how to talk to a woman. If you are 20 something and not mature enough to handle a break up, how can you expect to be mature enough to handle the pressures of a M.D.?

Reactions: 5 users
What's up with those memes? It seems the guy is the one overreacting

What's up with those memes? It seems the guy is the one overreacting

It's a he said she said situation, it's not like we actually (or ever will) know the entire story to judge. Thought to interject some humor to lighten the mood.

Plus, it's already answered, unless a real charge comes OP's way (if he violates the order), a restraining order won't do anything to his chance at medical license.

Regardless of wither a medical license is on the line you need to grow up and learn how to talk to a woman. If you are 20 something and not mature enough to handle a break up, how can you expect to be mature enough to handle the pressures of a M.D.?

Burnett's law realized. But so soon?

That is fair. I should have just accepted being dumped without insulting her.
Yes - agreed.

I also doubt you just called her a few names - since she has evidence to get a restraining order...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a he said she said situation, it's not like we actually (or ever will) know the entire story to judge. Thought to interject some humor to lighten the mood.

It's common to think women overreact, "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" etc, but men are just as bad to be honest--I was recently reading this story of this high schooler who killed his girlfriend because she was moving to another state, supposedly said he loved her too much, it was very sad.

Yes - agreed.

I also doubt you just called her a few names - since she has evidence to get a restraining order...
I contacted an attorney, and he thinks she lacks such evidence. It is my fault for being an ass, but I never threatened her so my attorney thinks it is unlikely she even gets the order signed.

I contacted an attorney, and he thinks she lacks such evidence. It is my fault for being an ass, but I never threatened her so my attorney thinks it is unlikely she even gets the order signed.
What did you say in the emails and texts that made her feel she needed a restraining order?

What did you say in the emails and texts that made her feel she needed a restraining order?
I am not sure it would be wise to post that online. The point of the thread was not to see whether or not I deserve the order. I was an dingus, I should not have said that stuff. The point was to find out if the order would prevent a license.

I know it is easy to assume I threatened her and she has some crazy stalker letters, but that is not the case. The attorney thinks based on what I sent that she won't have a shot of getting the order. This is a vindictive ex, but I am wondering what happens if she somehow gets the order.

I am not sure it would be wise to post that online. The point of the thread was not to see whether or not I deserve the order. I was an dingus, I should not have said that stuff. The point was to find out if the order would prevent a license.

I know it is easy to assume I threatened her and she has some crazy stalker letters, but that is not the case. The attorney thinks based on what I sent that she won't have a shot of getting the order. This is a vindictive ex, but I am wondering what happens if she somehow gets the order.
My response to this is my response to every legal matter (mostly because I know nothing about law): lawyer up and ask them. Sounds like you're ahead of the game on that, so now just relax. Congrats on the acceptance.

Side note: if you have lawyer already then why are you asking us?

Disclaimer: blah blah this post is for entertainment purposes, not legal advice, etc etc.

So if I never contact her again/violate the order I am fine? I mean I have no intent to ever contact her again.
I sure hope you don't have a restraining order in the first place. Because I don't know what you're refering to here when you wrote ^^^. What order would you violate if you don't have a restraining order? Just stay away from her and stop writing about her. Don't write to your friends about her in any way. Don't write about her in FB or any other social media. The less said the better.

Take Home Lesson: Don't be a jerk in a breakup, especially in writing. You might want to ask your lawyer if a simple apology for saying mean things and an assurance that you won't contact her again would be a good idea.

This is what is wrong with SDN.

Only here I have heard of a lawyer being obtained during a simple college break-up.

The lawyer wasn't in response to a "simple college breakup" but rather in response to a threatened restraining order -- which is wise and prudent.

It's not easy to get a restraining order. If she actually is able to do it, you messed up. Just play it safe and don't ever contact her again.

Also i seriously question your judgement.

It's not easy to get a restraining order. If she actually is able to do it, you messed up. Just play it safe and don't ever contact her again.

Not in every state. In many, a scared-looking woman can get a temporary restraining order with just a few tears and virtually nothing else.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, I must beg to differ. Much of the ease with which one can get a restraining order depends on the specific judge. Protective orders are absolutely a necessity in many cases, but, like most aspects of the legal system, they can be abused.

Unfortunately, I must beg to differ. Much of the ease with which one can get a restraining order depends on the specific judge. Protective orders are absolutely a necessity in many cases, but, like most aspects of the legal system, they can be abused.

Hmm... maybe just the area I've got the most experience in just had a really hard arse judge

Hmm... maybe just the area I've got the most experience in just had a really hard arse judge

I think that most judges attempt to be just when approving a motion for a protective order. However, sometimes people lie, sometimes people exaggerate, and sometimes judges just want to be 100% certain that no one is hurt. If someone truly feels that their life is in danger, it's hard to argue that a protective order shouldn't be issued from a legal standpoint; that's the point of protective orders.

My response to this is my response to every legal matter (mostly because I know nothing about law): lawyer up and ask them. Sounds like you're ahead of the game on that, so now just relax. Congrats on the acceptance.

Side note: if you have lawyer already then why are you asking us?

Disclaimer: blah blah this post is for entertainment purposes, not legal advice, etc etc.
I contacted an attorney for advice about fighting the potential order. I posted here for input from people who might know how this would affect licensing and hospital priveliges.

I don't want to be hundreds of thousands in debt only to find out I can't practice.

For what it is worth, I fully support people being able to obtain such orders against people who are harassing or threatening them. I also know that insulting someone is childish and I am embarrassed about my behavior in that regard.

I could not agree more. OP, lives could be in your hands someday. Try to learn from this.

Now on to OP's point. Contrary to popular belief you don't just file a restraining order and then it's in effect. The wording and requirements vary from state to state, but basically she would have to file a petition for a domestic violence protection order (which is a pain in the butt). In this she will have to state exactly why she feels she needs protection from you. The reason generally has to involve some form of domestic violence or threat thereof, which would give her a reasonable fear of harm. If the claims indicate it a temporary protective order will be issued until the court date (if over turned this has no legal bearing). You will be served with the order and a summons. If you do not show up to the court date generally it will go into effect. Otherwise you show up, both tell your side of the story, and bring in any evidence. It is a civil matter, not criminal, meaning the burden of proof is lower. Instead of beyond a reasonable doubt she would only have to prove her claims were probable. Her claims would also have to meet certain standards set by the state for the order to be deemed necessary. If the ruling was in her favor, a protective order would be in place, barring you from any contact with her and also usually making it illegal for you to possess firearms while the order is in place (usually a few months, then it must be renewed, except in extreme cases).

This would be a civil action against you, not criminal, and is not the equivalent of being charged with domestic violence. If the order is not granted there will be no ramifications for you. If it is granted, the effects on your career will largely depend on your states laws, as well as your school's policy. I doubt you would be barred from licensure, but some schools have policies that reserve them the right to expel you for demonstrating poor character.

(I am not a lawyer, am not offering legal advice outside of my suggestion to learn to act like a mature adult, blah blah blah.)

Did you just insult her, or did you threaten her? I think the latter is more likely to result in a restraining order.