Resume for LOR...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrGoMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recentley asked my communication professor for a LOR, and she asked for a brief summary/resume.. I have a resume that I used to get my research, and I have one for volunteer work, but I'm not sure what I should give this non-science professor. What should I include in it? past experience, grades, prospects? Any advice or maybe even sample resume's would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The one that I give my professors when I ask for a letter includes my grades and my EC activities (volunteering, research, choir, even IM soccer... put anything that shows that you are well-rounded). I also include my picture on it just so they "remember" who I am when they are writing it.

Thanks.. Any other opinions or samples?

OrGoMan said:
I recentley asked my communication professor for a LOR, and she asked for a brief summary/resume.. I have a resume that I used to get my research, and I have one for volunteer work, but I'm not sure what I should give this non-science professor. What should I include in it? past experience, grades, prospects? Any advice or maybe even sample resume's would be greatly appreciated!

If I were you I would give the prof the resume with more humanistic experiences (community service) etc... Maybe include your research/science stuff but make the explanations of what you did shorter, and expand on the "service/interests" section. Your research will speak for iteself in your AMCAS and probably with other letters from your supervisors, but a communications prof can probably write about your personality and stuff. But I wouldn't completely ditch the science info, because it gives the prof a more complete picture of what kind of applicant you are.

When I did this I put a copy of my resume along with a copy of the most recent draft of my personal statement, a copy of my confidentiality agreement from the premed office, an info form for letter-writers (also from my premed office), and an addressed envelope to make it easy for them to write. Hope this helps.