Resume for pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm updating my resume for pharm school. I decided to apply now instead of June in case I get in this cycle. I eliminated the objective section because I figured its obvious my objective is to get into pharm school since its going with the application.. I'm also thinking about eliminating the skills section. Are these good ideas? Or is it better to keep em? I'm trying add extra space to fit in my hospital pharm tech job

Also, does anyone know if certain terms like 'pyxis fill' is understood in the pharm world? Wondering if i should mention it or keep 'routinely fill medicine dispensing machine on various nursing floors." And its ok to write refill narcotics right? or is that understood as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Out of all of my applications, Michigan is the only one that required me to send a resume. On my resume, I kept the objective & stated that I wanted to become a clinical pharmacist. I also kept the skills part in my resume, because Michigan requires students to do research projects so I wanted to list the equipment & computer software that I'm familiar with. So I would think about what you would put in the skills "category" first and then the curriculum of the schools you would send it to before deciding to cut it.

To each, their own, though, there's so many ways to put resumes together. Good luck!!

So I'm updating my resume for pharm school. I decided to apply now instead of June in case I get in this cycle. I eliminated the objective section because I figured its obvious my objective is to get into pharm school since its going with the application.. I'm also thinking about eliminating the skills section. Are these good ideas? Or is it better to keep em? I'm trying add extra space to fit in my hospital pharm tech job

Also, does anyone know if certain terms like 'pyxis fill' is understood in the pharm world? Wondering if i should mention it or keep 'routinely fill medicine dispensing machine on various nursing floors." And its ok to write refill narcotics right? or is that understood as well?

You should never take out the objective and skills sections. You want them to know that you are determined in what you want to do and what separate you from others. For your job experiences, try to eliminate wordiness and list the things that you do at your job out, doing so will help you to save spaces. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
For your job experiences, try to eliminate wordiness and list the things that you do at your job out, doing so will help you to save spaces. GL

Resume writing is definitely an acquired skill! One of the hardest things to do is pare down your description of your experiences, employment, etc, to what is most important, but it's a necessary evil. I personally try to make sure that anything that stood out about something (internship, tech job, etc) is listed succinctly but at the beginning or top of the entry.

For example:

Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader
  • Provided extra instruction for General Chemistry I students
  • Created supplemental lessons and practice exams based on course lectures
  • Helped SI students achieve higher average grades than non-SI students

yeah wordiness is definitely something i need to work on. I need to learn the art of being concise. Good suggestions guys. So far, my headings are:

Objective
Education
Undergraduate Research
Research Presentations
Work Experience
Volunteer Work
Memberships & Affiliations
Skills

Still debating on taking out the skills section. Should work experience (which includes pharm tech job) go under education? I feel like undergrad research should go under work experience cuz it was directly part of my degree. but it may not get as much priority as the pharm tech job

Reactions: 1 user
yeah wordiness is definitely something i need to work on. I need to learn the art of being concise. Good suggestions guys. So far, my headings are:

Objective
Education
Undergraduate Research
Research Presentations
Work Experience
Volunteer Work
Skills

Still debating on taking out the skills section. Should work experience (which includes pharm tech job) go under education? I feel like undergrad research should go under work experience cuz it was directly part of my degree. but it may not get as much priority as the pharm tech job

I would put work experience as a separate section. For an example of education, I put: "Bachelor of Science, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Degree anticipated May 2012 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign"

Also, if you want someone to look over it, see if your campus has a writer's workshop. Mine was really helpful in going over my personal statements and resume. They also had books with tons of different resume formats that were helpful. Being concise is key!

Sorry, I meant putting each as a section of their own in the appropriate order. Work experience is def its own section. Just unsure whether or not to put it under the Education section or Undergrad Research section. Gosh, I have so many questions maybe I should ask a pharmacist to look over it. Im out of school now so that may be more appropriate.

Oneee more question (lol):
I used to work at bath & bodyworks in college.. should i remove this from my resume? its not pharmacy related, but does every place I worked at need to go on the resume AND work experience section of the pharmCAS app? It shows customer relation skills and plus it shows that at one point i worked 2 jobs so maybe its worth including? or not lol.

Objective
Education
Undergraduate Research
Research Presentations
Work Experience
Volunteer Work
Skills

Boy, this sounds like a CV to me.

Resumes are supposed to be targeted to the position you're applying for. Some people tweak the verbiage for each application they put in. I have heard over and over resumes are supposed to fit on one page - although many are now two pages. A CV is a list of accomplishments over your professional & academic career (they are often used in academia).

My resume has the following:
Name, contact info
Objective
Work History (this is my beefiest section, I have 9 years' work experience)
Education & Certifications
Volunteer History

Rule of thumb on resumes is experience within 7-10 years (unless something outside that timeframe is really really important, like a degree); CVs list everything. Resumes are often accompanied by cover letters, too, so you get to supplement with a narrative in these cases.

For my pharma school application CV, I took out the Objective section (although I could see the argument for leaving it in), changed the formatting (so my contact information was slightly less prevalent) and fleshed everything out a bit more, especially the education & volunteer sections. A PTCB certification is not applicable to a job in loan processing, so I had to add that back in. I listed all of my academic honors under my degree, although people usually list this separately (it looked lonely when I split it out). I also took out a lot of the banking business buzz words I used in the resume (since that's the last position I applied for).

Since my work history is a strength, I put that first on my CV. The Education section looked marooned when I put it at the end, so I put my volunteer history after it. A lot of writing a resume or a CV is in the formatting - it should be easy on the eye and let the interviewers find the things important to you easily. Make their job as effortless as possible.

Sometimes it helps to look at examples, or get someone more experienced to look at it. I had some relatives who have done hiring in the field of banking help me - this especially helped with coming up with some of the terms / buzz words employers are looking for. Do you have someone in your network that could help you write a pharma school resume? I second the suggestion to check with your school, but I ran into a dead end there because my CC didn't have anyone in the career development department who knew much about writing a resume targeted to a health profession (small department).

Even though I'm saying it last, it's probably the most important thing - Resume writing is not an exact science. If you think it is important to the person who is reviewing your application, put it in! There is no absolute right or wrong answer.

No, work experience should be a separate section. I think the skills section would be up to you, if you have specific skills that uniquely qualify you - google some examples to see how other people put it on there. I think the education section should be pretty pithy:
Education
School of Hard Knocks, Downtown, AK, 2000-2005
B.S. in Street Smarts, concentration in Common Sense and Smackdown

Research Experience
Undergraduate Research: Department of Conventional Wisdom, Street Smarts, and Common Sense, School of Hard Knocks, 2003-2004
- Observed behaviors of downtown denizens in their natural habitat
- Generated survey to investigate attitudes and assumptions held by downtown denizens to research possible causes of spontaneous streetcorner song & dance

Work Experience
Legal Drug Deal Assistant, Homie's Clown Supply Depot, Downtown, AK, 2005 - Present
- Primary customer service representative assisting with filling and distribution of legal drug deals
- Responsible for training, merchandising, ordering, and inventory
- Leader of store's Payment Enforcement Squad

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, I meant putting each as a section of their own in the appropriate order. Work experience is def its own section. Just unsure whether or not to put it under the Education section or Undergrad Research section. Gosh, I have so many questions maybe I should ask a pharmacist to look over it. Im out of school now so that may be more appropriate.

If it goes under work experience on the PharmCAS application, put it under work experience on your resume. These are jobs you got paid for, had a boss (or were your own boss). I think the Research should be its own section (especially if it's a major selling point) or possibly under Education.

Oneee more question (lol):
I used to work at bath & bodyworks in college.. should i remove this from my resume? its not pharmacy related, but does every place I worked at need to go on the resume AND work experience section of the pharmCAS app? It shows customer relation skills and plus it shows that at one point i worked 2 jobs so maybe its worth including? or not lol.

How long ago was it? Can you flesh out the stuff you were responsible for & skills applicable to being a pharmacist / being in pharmacy school to at least one or two points? If you can't relate it to what you're applying for, you didn't hold the position for long, and/or it was older experience, I'd say leave it off of a resume. If it's weak & you worked there for a short amount of time, I might not even put it on a CV.

At least during my interview at MWU-CPG, the PharmCAS application was not available to the interviewers. They could only see what was on the supplemental, including my CV, so it seems my CV was part of my first impression on the interviewers. Consider it a separate entity from your application.

Hi! I was wondering if it is even worth putting down the pharmacy I volunteered for 2-3 months on my resume? I heard that a general rule of thumb is that anything less than a year commitment should be omitted from your resume? What are your thoughts?