Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

resume for pharm tech job

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by morssolis, Dec 21, 2008.

1. morssolis

2+ Year Member

I have been looking for a pharmacy tech job and a local chain of grocery stores with pharmacies has listing for a few positions. They request you send a resume to them via email. I am in my first year of pre pharmacy at a local community college and do not know what to put on it. I think when i go to write one up it is going to be very bare.

Does anyone have any advice on what to list? I have not started any volunteer work or EC's. I work at a fast food restaurant for 2 year in high school and I am currently a sales associate / merchandiser at a motorcycle gear retail store.

What could i list and what kind of information about it should I list? I was thinking jobs and some responsibilities of them, mostly my current job.

Would it be a bad idea to send one that is about .5-.75 of a page long? I am thinking they just want a resume because they do not have a application for the position and it is a way to get contact information mostly for an interview.

Any advice would be great. thanks

Edit: I am going to start studying for the PTCB exam so I am thinking i can put that I am planning on taking in the near future.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jaded03

Jaded03 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pharmacy Student
    I would just put in an "Objective" section your motivation in pharmacy. Place all your work experiences down and your relevant education. It's going to be bare because you have any other experiences. I think any pharmacy is looking forward to hire students who have work availability. If you're going to be "in-class" a lot they may overlook you. Experience is nice but not required in pharmacy, you just need the time to learn everything very quickly and that only happens with full 8 hour shifts. I had a lot of "academic stuff" but nothing work experience related (minus lab experience), so what got me an automatic "you're pretty much hired, we don't need to interview" were: 1. college student, 2. I can work anytime except monday and friday nights (2 classes), and 3. I want to apply to pharmacy school.

4. morssolis

2+ Year Member

I have class Monday to Thursday 9am to 4:30 pm i am thinking this is going to really hurt me. When you say relevant education do you mean such as classes? What would they be? So far i have AP bio and chem in HS, bio and calculus in first semester of college. Those are the only classes i can think relevant. i do not even know about putting bio or chem on but calculus i would think could be listed. What do you think?

5. Jaded03

Jaded03 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pharmacy Student
    No more generalized. You should look at example resumes. Relevant meaning posting your GPA or academic awards as well as that you're HS graduate and college student. If you offer your weekends and work nights, then you should be fine. Nights are a good way to gain experience without too much stress. I wouldn't stress getting turned down for positions this early.

6. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    When I was applying to the Rite Aid as a pharm. intern, I don't even know if they asked for a resume. I gave them one, but I don't know if they read it.
    They'll most likely hire you as long as you don't have any drug-related convictions and your hours match with their open hours, IF they have hours. However, it is quite often that all positions in pharmacies are filled, especially at this time of the year. So you should probably come in to the store first and ask if they have openings, and not waste your time applying if they don't.
    If they like your resume, they most likely won't even bring you in for an interview and hire you. Managers like to fill tech vacancies as quickly as possible, if there are vacancies.

As for your resume, list the duties of your previous jobs (maybe spin it so it relates to your tech job a bit). Maybe list some special skills (languages or if you have a very fast typing speed).

Another thing, if this is an option, it is really better to apply in store. Then the pharmacist will remember that you applied and will direct you to the correct people to speak to if there is an opening (for instance, the PDM).