Resume or CV for a retail interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have two retail interviews tomorrow. i submitted my resumes and i was selected for the interviews. i'm gonna show up with my resume and card at the interview to hand to whoever is interviewing me. i'm not sure if i should bring a CV and card instead though.

so my question is, resume or CV for when i'm going into the interview? this is for retail. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i have two retail interviews tomorrow. i submitted my resumes and i was selected for the interviews. i'm gonna show up with my resume and card at the interview to hand to whoever is interviewing me. i'm not sure if i should bring a CV and card instead though.

so my question is, resume or CV for when i'm going into the interview? this is for retail. thanks

I have very limited knowledge on this relative to the pharmacy marketplace but I would say limit your CV/Resume to ONE page. I have been a hiring manager in my past life and i secretly hated people that had multi page resume. How important does one think one is that they need multiple pages? truncate it down to one page. This distilled down version will look more professional and be easier for the hiring manager to digest.

TL:DR

Limit your resume to one page

I actually thought the same and have been told by my school advisor, preceptor, and a pharmacist that your CV should only be 1 page, so I made my CV 1 page. Then I had it checked by at least 3 hiring managers and residency managers. They all told me that it should be at least 2-3 pages minimum, and that most people have 4-5 pages. So I don't know what to believe anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a retail position take your resume.

The one page rule actually doesn’t apply to a CV. If you’ve done enough in your professional life to actually warrant having a CV, then the CV will certainly be >1 page.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually thought the same and have been told by my school advisor, preceptor, and a pharmacist that your CV should only be 1 page, so I made my CV 1 page. Then I had it checked by at least 3 hiring managers and residency managers. They all told me that it should be at least 2-3 pages minimum, and that most people have 4-5 pages. So I don't know what to believe anymore.

A typical resume is one page. A CV is multiple pages. (A resume for federal job applications is often more than one page.)

Resume = a quick snapshot of your qualifications for the specific job
CV = a long list of all of your accomplishments, education, positions held, publications, honors, awards, professional memberships, courses taught, etc.

A typical resume is one page. A CV is multiple pages. (A resume for federal job applications is often more than one page.)

Resume = a quick snapshot of your qualifications for the specific job
CV = a long list of all of your accomplishments, education, positions held, publications, honors, awards, professional memberships, courses taught, etc.

So as a student (like OP and myself), how would you showcase your academic achievements, publications, honors, awards, etc. that belongs in a CV on a resume? A new grad's resume wouln't have enough pharmacy experience listed to compete with a veteran pharmacist for example. How do you stand out as a new grad?

So as a student (like OP and myself), how would you showcase your academic achievements, publications, honors, awards, etc. that belongs in a CV on a resume? A new grad's resume wouln't have enough pharmacy experience listed to compete with a veteran pharmacist for example. How do you stand out as a new grad?

The question is whether or not you need to showcase all of those things on your resume. If you are applying to an academic (including clinical faculty jobs), industry, government, or other research-related job, then you would submit a CV with all of those things. If you are applying to a private sector retail job, you would submit a resume showcasing your education, experience, and skills that are related to the job. For a new grad, highlight related APPEs and other internships, immunization certification and any other special skills/certifications related to the job, and of course pharmacy degree related-education and pharmacist licensure (or intern license if you aren't licensed yet) on your resume. Awards, honors, publications, professional memberships (unless they are retail related, like say an award for customer service) are not things that I would imagine a retail hiring manager cares about all that much. I don't have any experience as a retail hiring manager, so take this with a grain of salt, but not only is a lot of that stuff not applicable to retail work, if you submit a CV or "CV-like" resume to a retail job, they might think you are applying as a backup for not getting a residency, or that retail pharmacy was not your first choice, i.e. you were doing all of these other activities because you were working towards an academic/research/industry/government job, and something went wrong, and now you're scrambling for a retail job.

edit: another thought, if you did do something extensive or exceptional, like presented a poster at a national conference, or led a student health fair, or did some kind of unique experience that showcases your leadership, initiative, public speaking skills, work ethic, business acumen, creativity, etc. definitely put that on your resume. I would just avoid listing every single academic thing you did on your resume.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

One page, two at the most.

I have 2015 grads sending 5 page piles of **** with their IPPE still listed.

That cappy doesn't matter in retail. All Wags and CVS care how is your license, your ability to work

They don't care about that crap in retail. All CVS and Wags care about is your license, how little you will work for and your personality (how much **** can you take). Make your resume one page and focus on your personality.

One page, two at the most.

I have 2015 grads sending 5 page piles of **** with their IPPE still listed.
I never understood this as well. I looked at one of the pharmacy resident's CV at my rotation and it's about 5-6 pages mostly listing APPEs, presentations done on APPEs, and IPPEs. yes, her IPPEs from 2-4 years ago are even listed.

They don't care about that crap in retail. All CVS and Wags care about is your license, how little you will work for and your personality (how much **** can you take). Make your resume one page and focus on your personality.
this is kind of what I believe as well. one would think that a retail hiring manager could give two ****s about how long your list of accomplishments and gpa are. seems like most would be satisfied with a body that has a license and is willing to endure the **** that accompanies retail. why does it seem so hard to land something in retail then?

this is kind of what I believe as well. one would think that a retail hiring manager could give two ****s about how long your list of accomplishments and gpa are. seems like most would be satisfied with a body that has a license and is willing to endure the **** that accompanies retail. why does it seem so hard to land something in retail then?
Because there is no barrier to entry. Anyone with degree can do Retail, RPh or PharmD. Wags and Retail like to hire their own interns. That way they can see how to do over several years. They know that you know how to do the job. They can take to your DM or PIC. The field is super saturated.it is all about who you know.