RESUME OR CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christy101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i graduated for about a year now and is applying to places since wanting to leave my job. Although i haven't worked in a hospital and only done retail and its hard to get one without experience, i still want to try to apply. I just want to have an idea now is a resume better or full CV with my past rotations? Is my rotations still relevant in this case when applying to hospital positions. I really want to gain a hospital position but i know its really hard, if anyone can share any tips for someone who graduated year already and had only retail experience, just never been given the chance. Thank you anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

For you, CV. Include 4th year hospital and critical carerotations and emphasize clinical activities. Be honest about your lack of experience but assure the interviewer your willingness to learn and contribute.

I hate when people come in with 0-3 years of experience and have a CV that is 5-8 pages long, That is a joke, I have 13 years of experience, been a manager, served on numerous committees, and my resume is 2.5 pages long. I DON"T CARE what rotations you did. I want to know your experience, I want to know what sets you apart. Taking the same rotations everybody else has does not set you apart, Save the trees

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate when people come in with 0-3 years of experience and have a CV that is 5-8 pages long, That is a joke, I have 13 years of experience, been a manager, served on numerous committees, and my resume is 2.5 pages long. I DON"T CARE what rotations you did. I want to know your experience, I want to know what sets you apart. Taking the same rotations everybody else has does not set you apart, Save the trees

Everyone is different. OP specifically stated there's only retail experience 1 year out of school. You do not know that everyone takes same rations. CV will allow an opportunity to show if there have been special rotations and publications. Internal medicine rotation with strong emphasis on critical care and antibiotic stewardship is a plus. You can't tell me every internal med rotation is the same. Also, it allows me to assess how much pharmacotherapy an applicant has retained during an interview discussion of different rotations. There's no reason to hate 5-8 page long CV. I say bring it on. Because it's that much more information I can use to interview a candidate instead of your typical canned psychological eval questions and "what are your weaknesses and strengths" bs. That being said, with my 24 years of experience, my resume is 2.5 pages. So if I'm hiring a Director of Pharmacy or Operations manager, I want to see a short resume. For a clinical manager, I want to see a CV. New grads, I want to see a CV to evaluate their health system pharmacist potentials. Your institution and your management experience may vary.

I am a new grad who ended up in retail. I found out I like the hospital setting a few weeks before graduation, so never had a chance to apply to residency and would like to move away from the retail setting while my knowledge is still fresh. Since I graduated in May of this year, would you recommend putting rotation experience on my resume? I'm not in a saturated area as of now.

I too would like to know since I am just a recent grad (graduated in may) what should I use when applying for jobs.