Resume writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterbottle10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who recently graduated or remember what it was like to recently graduate, how does one go about writing resumes for 1st job out of residency? I do not have any research, posters, abstracts, presentations, book chapters, or patents. I also do not have any recent volunteer work in the past 5 years or any job other than residency. As of right now my resume has where I am doing residency, where I went to Medical school and undergraduate, which takes up 1/4th of the page. I can fill it up if I include meaningless jobs and club activities in college but that seems like a waste of time

Members don't see this ad.

For those who recently graduated or remember what it was like to recently graduate, how does one go about writing resumes for 1st job out of residency? I do not have any research, posters, abstracts, presentations, book chapters, or patents. I also do not have any recent volunteer work in the past 5 years or any job other than residency. As of right now my resume has where I am doing residency, where I went to Medical school and undergraduate, which takes up 1/4th of the page. I can fill it up if I include meaningless jobs and club activities in college but that seems like a waste of time

Doesn’t really matter for the rest.
List where you have a license, acls, etc. asa membership.
Did you have any leadership role in residency?
Add references on the bottom if it is still blank.
Just don’t go over a page if it is all filler stuff.

Word has some reasonable formats - you should include: Work Experience, Education, Tests (after fellowship, I just noted the dates and “PASS”), and then research and community involvement. Don’t forget licensure and professional membership in there.

The RRC requires some “research” or “QI” projects to my knowledge these days, even if it’s just one. You didn’t do anything at all? Not the end of the world, but you need to have a professional resume or CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t really matter for the rest.
List where you have a license, acls, etc. asa membership.
Did you have any leadership role in residency?
Add references on the bottom if it is still blank.
Just don’t go over a page if it is all filler stuff.

Word has some reasonable formats - you should include: Work Experience, Education, Tests (after fellowship, I just noted the dates and “PASS”), and then research and community involvement. Don’t forget licensure and professional membership in there.

The RRC requires some “research” or “QI” projects to my knowledge these days, even if it’s just one. You didn’t do anything at all? Not the end of the world, but you need to have a professional resume or CV.

I am a CA3 with no license. I thought about listing ASA/ACLS but wasn't sure since every resident has those but I guess I will.
No leadership roles. References go in the actual CV?

I am trying to do a case report but have not done it yet so I cant list it on my resume.
Does residency count as work or education? I didn't have any 'real jobs' prior since I went straight from college to residency. I had some side jobs like cleaning many years ago.

Fresh from residency, your CV will likely be sparse, as will everyone else's.

Lots of variation regarding formatting, but I went name up top, NPI immediately below. Next lines are contact information. Below that goes residency. If you have anything to distinguish yourself, like Chief or any awards from residency, list in a line interstate below residency. Below that, med school. Again, mention any awards, leadership, etc. Below that, undergrad/major/anything standout (President of your class, student council leadership, etc). Next is licenses and certifications (ACLS, BLS, PALS). Lastly, areas of special interest or unique skills that you'd being to the table. If your residency was regional/APS heavy, and you have tons of experience with blocks, catheters, multimodal analgesia, and whatnot, mention that here. Likewise, if you did extra time in CT or doing echo (and are preparing to take any of the exams), mention that. Kind of tailor that section to whatever position to which you are applying. If you need to fill up more space, other things to include could be professional society memberships (if they show what you're really interested in, or you actually held some kind of position), ITE scores (I wouldn't, but I know some on here say to include them), and references.

Overall, limit it to one page. I'd only go beyond one page if I was applying for a research/clinical position, and had a substantial amount of research already. Don't mention undergrad jobs, clubs, or anything like that as filler. If it's relevant, save it for conversation at the interview or the cover letter (if that applies).

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Lots of variation regarding formatting, but I went name up top, NPI immediately below. Next lines are contact information. Below that goes residency. If you have anything to distinguish yourself, like Chief or any awards from residency, list in a line interstate below residency. Below that, med school. Again, mention any awards, leadership, etc. Below that, undergrad/major/anything standout (President of your class, student council leadership, etc). Next is licenses and certifications (ACLS, BLS, PALS). Lastly, areas of special interest or unique skills that you'd being to the table. If your residency was regional/APS heavy, and you have tons of experience with blocks, catheters, multimodal analgesia, and whatnot, mention that here. Likewise, if you did extra time in CT or doing echo (and are preparing to take any of the exams), mention that. Kind of tailor that section to whatever position to which you are applying. If you need to fill up more space, other things to include could be professional society memberships (if they show what you're really interested in, or you actually held some kind of position), ITE scores (I wouldn't, but I know some on here say to include them), and references.

Overall, limit it to one page. I'd only go beyond one page if I was applying for a research/clinical position, and had a substantial amount of research already. Don't mention undergrad jobs, clubs, or anything like that as filler. If it's relevant, save it for conversation at the interview or the cover letter (if that applies).

Thank you this is really informative. Would you include upcoming pending things such as upcoming ASA presentation, or case report being worked on, or lectures that you are scheduled to give or things of that sort? They may be useless for PP jobs but I figure they may help slightly for academics. Thank you.

Thank you this is really informative. Would you include upcoming pending things such as upcoming ASA presentation, or case report being worked on, or lectures that you are scheduled to give or things of that sort? They may be useless for PP jobs but I figure they may help slightly for academics. Thank you.
If relevant to the job to which you are applying, then include them. As you said, I wouldn't include that if I were applying to PP jobs. If I were applying to an academic position where teaching residents is a major part of the job, however, I'd include it.

Reactions: 1 users
If relevant to the job to which you are applying, then include them. As you said, I wouldn't include that if I were applying to PP jobs. If I were applying to an academic position where teaching residents is a major part of the job, however, I'd include it.

thanks. im also applying for jobs so this is good info!

I am a CA3 with no license. I thought about listing ASA/ACLS but wasn't sure since every resident has those but I guess I will.
No leadership roles. References go in the actual CV?

I am trying to do a case report but have not done it yet so I cant list it on my resume.
Does residency count as work or education? I didn't have any 'real jobs' prior since I went straight from college to residency. I had some side jobs like cleaning many years ago.

I’m sure you have a license in your current state. That will fill 2 inches.
The references are only included in CV if you are desperate to fill space (have 1/3 empty page after listing everything you can think of).

I will use this as a template!

I’m sure you have a license in your current state. That will fill 2 inches.
The references are only included in CV if you are desperate to fill space (have 1/3 empty page after listing everything you can think of).

How does a license fill 2 inches? Don't I have to apply for a license? I have never applied to any licenses as far as I'm aware of.

I will use this as a template!

How does a license fill 2 inches? Don't I have to apply for a license? I have never applied to any licenses as far as I'm aware of.
Pump the brakes. How are you not licensed as a CA-3? I thought you had to have a license at the completion of intern year, even if it's a limited license.

Reactions: 1 user
Pump the brakes. How are you not licensed as a CA-3? I thought you had to have a license at the completion of intern year, even if it's a limited license.

Because, as pointed out in another thread, he’s not a doc.

Couple clues in this thread:
A) No one in medicine says “resume”
B)
I went straight from college to residency

Look, I have no problem with visitors here from any walk of life, but to misrepresent yourself like this is pretty F’d up.

Because, as pointed out in another thread, he’s not a doc.

Couple clues in this thread:
A) No one in medicine says “resume”
B)

Look, I have no problem with visitors here from any walk of life, but to misrepresent yourself like this is pretty F’d up.
Devil's advocate. There are combined programs but I imagine you have to be pretty smart to get accepted to those programs, but to your point, if you're asking me "How Do I Write A Resume?" then I can't believe he/she is smart enough for one of those programs.

The Inter-webs bro.

Members don't see this ad :)
He could have just meant that he went straight through from college all the way to residency (mentions med school in the first two posts), without any interruptions in between. Plenty of people still refer to it as a resume, and I have met a lot of people in medicine who have never had to write one before, so this is not that strange.

THE INTERNET

You can quite literally build lasers on Youtube

I have my first interview (PP) coming up. Thanks to all for their help with the CV suggestions, it made writing it much easier. I am going to be having dinner at one of the partner's houses the night before the interview. Would you typically bring some sort of host gift like flowers, wine, etc?

I have my first interview (PP) coming up. Thanks to all for their help with the CV suggestions, it made writing it much easier. I am going to be having dinner at one of the partner's houses the night before the interview. Would you typically bring some sort of host gift like flowers, wine, etc?

While I don't think it would be expected, I don't think you can ever go wrong bringing a bottle of wine whenever you go to someone's house for dinner. 2 Buck Chuck would probably send the wrong message though.

While I don't think it would be expected, I don't think you can ever go wrong bringing a bottle of wine whenever you go to someone's house for dinner. 2 Buck Chuck would probably send the wrong message though.
Haha, yeah agreed. I always do bring something when going to a house, but wasn't sure if it would be different in an interview type situation. Thanks!

Do this! Not flowers - for example, my wife is weird about flowers “these don’t go with my color scheme why didn’t you ask me first”. Im not entirely sure what our color scheme is in the house... but can’t go wrong with wine.

Do this! Not flowers - for example, my wife is weird about flowers “these don’t go with my color scheme why didn’t you ask me first”. Im not entirely sure what our color scheme is in the house... but can’t go wrong with wine.

Unless they have one of the 3 A’s...Adventist, AA or get Asian flush.

is that a common thing? going to eat at a partners house..? the partner must like having a stranger go over every few days..

Every few days? Our group doesn’t interview a ton of people per open position - maybe 3 on average. We narrow it down before we bring them in to save everyone the hassle. This isn’t residency or fellowship where you need 10:1.

When I had an interview dinner, it was meeting the partners, sometimes spouses at a restaurant. Since I don't drink, I would always opt to bring flowers over wine since I am totally clueless about wine. Flowers are easy to throw away the next day if they don't match the drapes.

When I had an interview dinner, it was meeting the partners, sometimes spouses at a restaurant. Since I don't drink, I would always opt to bring flowers over wine since I am totally clueless about wine. Flowers are easy to throw away the next day if they don't match the drapes.
What about all those flowers allergies