Tips on writing resume and job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnguyen35

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ca-3 starting to look for a job. any tips?what should you include on your resume since i'm a new grad with no real job experience?

Members don't see this ad.

(it's a CV, not a resume)

stick to the facts. Where you went to undergrad and what your degree was in, where you went to medical school, where you did residency, etc. Note if you graduated with some kind of honors or what not. You could maybe include some research publications, but if you are looking for a job in PP nobody really cares about that.

When I read a CV I really just want to see where you went to school. That let's me determine who I can call up to get the real scoop on you as a person and a worker.

I've recently had to review many, many CVs as we're doing a ton of hiring for a new venture. While it's very important to see where people went to school and residency, I find it helpful to see the ancillary stuff. What do you like to do in your spare time? What non-medical jobs have you had? Those are the things that stick out and give me something to talk to you about in an interview. Lately, non-medical work experience has become a great indicator for me. Getting burned by young people whose first real job is "doctor" sucks. If you've been able to cut it in construction or as a waitress, I know that you have some actual adulting skills that allow you to keep a job (showing up for shifts, ability to work with people, general level of responsibility) and you get what it means to work for a living.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've recently had to review many, many CVs as we're doing a ton of hiring for a new venture. While it's very important to see where people went to school and residency, I find it helpful to see the ancillary stuff. What do you like to do in your spare time? What non-medical jobs have you had? Those are the things that stick out and give me something to talk to you about in an interview. Lately, non-medical work experience has become a great indicator for me. Getting burned by young people whose first real job is "doctor" sucks. If you've been able to cut it in construction or as a waitress, I know that you have some actual adulting skills that allow you to keep a job (showing up for shifts, ability to work with people, general level of responsibility) and you get what it means to work for a living.

So, in your mind, working in construction or as a waitress is "adulting", but working 60-80hrs a week as a resident is not?

Reactions: 5 users
So, in your mind, working in construction or as a waitress is "adulting", but working 60-80hrs a week as a resident is not?

Being a resident is very different than having a real job. You're at a residency to learn, you don't have end-of-the-line authority or responsibility like you do in a real job. You can definitely excel at the things that pass you along and get good evals without the ability to be a good worker/partner in a private practice. YMMV, but I've seen it firsthand.

Reactions: 4 users
Being a resident is very different than having a real job. You're at a residency to learn, you don't have end-of-the-line authority or responsibility like you do in a real job. You can definitely excel at the things that pass you along and get good evals without the ability to be a good worker/partner in a private practice. YMMV, but I've seen it firsthand.

Perhaps, but you certainly don't have any real responsibility or authority working as a waitress, construction worker, or most of the other jobs that people get between college/med school. Maybe what you're noticing is more of an age related issue.

I wouldn't exactly put "waitress" on a CV. I mean I'd view that as a negative if someone felt it relevant to their search for employment as a physician in the real world. And I mean that with no offense to waitresses.

I find out all the other stuff during the interview.

Honestly, all CVs are basically the same. You read it and figure out who you know that knows the applicant. If that is nobody, at least you have a few conversation starters.
Include school, residency, leadership, research, and interests outside of work. Probably will fit on 1 page, 2 if you are verbose.

Really the only big mistakes I have seen are spelling or major grammatical errors. For me, if you make those, you are out. Only exception is if you have a really strong personal reference.
If you can’t get simple details right with unlimited time/resources, chances are you lack attention to detail in other areas.

To B-bone: I think that is a sign of the times more than anything else. We are seeing a lot more CRNAs with no concept of a work ethic lately. Much worse than even 5 years ago.
Fortunately our MD applicants have still all been strong in “adulting.”

Last edited:
To B-bone: I think that is a sign of the times more than anything else. We are seeing a lot more CRNAs with no concept of a work ethic lately. Much worse than even 5 years ago.
Fortunately our MD applicants have still all been strong in “adulting.”
It’s a sign of the strong job market. They are paid less then us, therefore highly valued by employers. Every CRNA I know has a few places that they are credentialed at for locums and have hospitals/surgicenters begging for more time. They can do as they please work ethic be damned.

thanks guys I just looking methods to write a good resume

Keep it to one page.

College, Med School, Residency, Fellowship, Person (enjoy running/skiing, active father or 2, etc...).

Keep it minimal on Board Scores/Publications - no one really cares.

Keep it to one page.

College, Med School, Residency, Fellowship, Person (enjoy running/skiing, active father or 2, etc...).

Keep it minimal on Board Scores/Publications - no one really cares.
Why board scores not important? ITEs >95% surely give some positive impression, particularly for a new graduate. Or at least Salty will not immediately say you are stupid.

Why board scores not important? ITEs >95% surely give some positive impression, particularly for a new graduate. Or at least Salty will not immediately say you are stupid.

I review resumes for incoming candidates, as I'm sure many of us do.

We have had a lot of high board scores, lots of research, clinically horrible type folks.

We have had a few people with board failures who turned out to be great clinically - and thats what matters.

As long as you have passed, and have gone to med schools/residency programs with a solid reputation, its all about other things like work ethic, personality, after that

thanks guys I just looking methods to write a good resume
If English is not your first language, have someone else help and proofread for you.

If you are a native English speaker, take more time to write and proofread your CV than you took to write this post. Seriously, I know forum posts are not a formal means of communication, but your one sentence here is missing multiple pieces of needed punctuation, capitalization, and a verb. It's not even a question or a statement. I assume the word you meant was "examples" and not "methods" but these are exactly the things that will get your CV tossed without a second look.

If English is not your first language, have someone else help and proofread for you.

If you are a native English speaker, take more time to write and proofread your CV than you took to write this post. Seriously, I know forum posts are not a formal means of communication, but your one sentence here is missing multiple pieces of needed punctuation, capitalization, and a verb. It's not even a question or a statement. I assume the word you meant was "examples" and not "methods" but these are exactly the things that will get your CV tossed without a second look.

it's unfortunate that I have to strongly agree with this. Have seen several CVs recently that look like they were created by a HS student with formatting errors and typos.