Retail Graduate Internship before residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxboy1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would they let this happen? I am a current tech at WAGS that wants to do hospital residency however I still want to work PRN pharmacist at WAGS because I still like retail and don't want to lose the experience. If you're a graduate intern, are you implying that you want to work full time RPH for them? Would they hire me prn while I do residency? I have been with the company six years.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the district and your DM. We have hired one PHIG who was not planning to work full time. (He is doing fellowship and agreed to work one weekend a month and other PRN shifts)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Depends on your residency contract. If you're in VA, it can go both ways. However, if you do a residency in civil service (or work for the civil service), you are obligated to clear your other sources of W2 income (and all nonprobate income >= $20k) with the Office of Government Ethics such that it doesn't present a conflict. For a pharmacist on a W2, this is trivial and is passed as a matter of course for working in a retail chain. However, for anyone else that has an outside practice, there's some catches involved in terms of double dealing.

If they want to hire you PRN/part time they probably would, just depends if they need that or not. Even if you want to work there just the word residency might scare them off though because they probably figure you'll end up quitting when you get a hospital job and/or have to relocate.

Reactions: 1 user