Retail: How would you have handled this?

Started by newbierph
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I agree. My problem is consistency. If we tell one person we won't take their meds back, the rule must apply to everyone. Doesn't matter if it's seroquel or lisinopril. That's not what's happening at my store now and it is frustrating.

Please read this carefully. This is really a very foolish statement. Says who, God. You don't have to be consistent at all. You judge each situation on a case by case basis and use your professional judgement.
 
Please read this carefully. This is really a very foolish statement. Says who, God. You don't have to be consistent at all. You judge each situation on a case by case basis and use your professional judgement.

How is it a foolish statement? I understand your point about professional judgment and all but what if the those two people are trying to return meds at the same time? Sorry Mr Seroquel but your meds were over a grand and I dont want to eat that much loss... You should have been like Mr Lisinopril over here at the other counter whose med only cost $4. Here's your money back sir. As for you Mr Seroquel, tough luck. Not only are you schizophrenic or bipolar, now you're broke.

Are you sure we are not confusing business judgment with professional judgement here?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is it a foolish statement? I understand your point about professional judgment and all but what if the those two people are trying to return meds at the same time? Sorry Mr Seroquel but your meds were over a grand and I dont want to eat that much loss... You should have been like Mr Lisinopril over here at the other counter whose med only cost $4. Here's your money back sir. As for you Mr Seroquel, tough luck. Not only are you schizophrenic or bipolar, now you're broke.

Are you sure we are not confusing business judgment with professional judgement here?

As a student you may not yet have experienced something called the "real world" where the rest (at least those not high on dope) of us live. Yes there is a big difference between $4 and $1000. For example, if I asked you to eat a worm for $4 you probably not do it (unless you liked eating worms), whereas had I offered $1000 the likelihood of your acceptance gets considerably higher. By your logic, if you agree to eat the worm for $1000 you therefore are required to eat it for $4 to remain "consistent".
 
As a student you may not yet have experienced something called the "real world" where the rest (at least those not high on dope) of us live. Yes there is a big difference between $4 and $1000. For example, if I asked you to eat a worm for $4 you probably not do it (unless you liked eating worms), whereas had I offered $1000 the likelihood of your acceptance gets considerably higher. By your logic, if you agree to eat the worm for $1000 you therefore are required to eat it for $4 to remain "consistent."

That's why you refuse to eat both so you aren't eating any worms. By taking one med back and not another makes a person a hypocrite. I'm over 30 years old and have been around the world so I know what the "real world" is like and I can tell you that people dislike hypocrites.

So then what happens when Mr Lisinopril happens to get prescribed Seroquel then tries to bring it back? You took back his Lisinopril now you have to take back Seroquel. If you tell him you can't he's going to be irate you won't take back the new script based on the fact you returned the last med. Now you look like a liar and a hypocrite. Seems to me it'd a better idea to just treat every situation the same way but perhaps that's naive.
 
Last edited:
That's why you refuse to eat both so you aren't eating any worms. By taking one med back and not another makes a person a hypocrite. I'm over 30 years old and have been around the world so I know what the "real world" is like and I can tell you that people dislike hypocrites.

So then what happens when Mr Lisinopril happens to get prescribed Seroquel then tries to bring it back? You took back his Lisinopril now you have to take back Seroquel. If you tell him you can't he's going to be irate you won't take back the new script based on the fact you returned the last med. Now you look like a liar and a hypocrite. Seems to me it'd a better idea to just treat every situation the same way but perhaps that's naive.

All conversations are private. It depends. If you have a customer that drops $25,000.00 per year into your pharmacy, you don't lose them over a simple return. You do not live in the real world. In the real world there are always circumstances under which you would take a specific course of action and those which you would not undertake that course of action. That's what judgement is. In time you will learn young Jedi.