Retail->PGY1->Academia ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats yall's opinion of doing this or trying to?

Been working retail 4 years, had mostly good stores, currently in an awesome store/district. Really like my current spot.
I can handle 50K pay cut to professor wages and 100K one year pay cut to residency.
The idea of an office chair, tenure, and out by 3pm are appealing...retail future less than rosy (amazon,new grads..)
Is it worth it or just charge forward to my original goal of 1.5 Mil net worth and out?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t even think you are allowed to do a residency anymore being 4 years out...

Members don't see this ad :)
Tenure is an afterthought for those who have it. There's too many more sleepless nights worrying about the next industry conference or R01 deadline. I've only known of a couple with the "summers off" mentality and they got their wish at the small cost of their dignity.

Reactions: 2 users
Just apply straight to the academia position lol... who needs a pgy1? Just brush up on ur brainwashing techniques, you’ll get a job somewhere... you’re proly overqualified cause sounds like you’ve worked as a pharmacist...

Reactions: 1 user
Whats yall's opinion of doing this or trying to?

Been working retail 4 years, had mostly good stores, currently in an awesome store/district. Really like my current spot.
I can handle 50K pay cut to professor wages and 100K one year pay cut to residency.
The idea of an office chair, tenure, and out by 3pm are appealing...retail future less than rosy (amazon,new grads..)
Is it worth it or just charge forward to my original goal of 1.5 Mil net worth and out?

I would stick where you are. College enrollment is down. Pretty soon even pharmacy schools will feel the effect of saturatuon As a new prof, you would be the first to be lay off. These pharmacy profs who chose academia because they couldn't hack it in the real world are in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: 1 user
Two professors at my school had retail background + law degrees or a lot of MTM experience and board certification. I feel like, given your experience, board certification would make more sense than residency.

I would stay, if your goal is only 1.5M. You can speed up by working extra shifts. Grass is not greener on the other side, just different type and maybe harder to cut!

Reactions: 1 users