You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Retail pharmacists' access to patient labs
Started by a student
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How is a retail pharmacist ever supposed to catch things like nitrofurantoin prescribed for CrCl < 60?
These sort of things are (supposed to) be handled at the hospital/clinic level.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's nearly impossible to catch on a single rx, unless the patient is very old and you can assume low clearance. Some regular patients you may know more about them and possibly know their renal status. Seeing other medications with renal adjustments on their profile (cephalexin 250mg q12h, Januvia 25mg, etc) could be a hint to double check as well.
it would get caught IF there was a pharmacist reviewing orders at the clinics - but I can't tell you how often I see people come in on inappropriately dosed meds for their renal function.These sort of things are (supposed to) be handled at the hospital/clinic level.
On a side note - the liit isn't 60 ml/min anymore of nitrofurantoin - it is more like 40 (or 30) depending on who you ask
it would get caught IF there was a pharmacist reviewing orders at the clinics - but I can't tell you how often I see people come in on inappropriately dosed meds for their renal function.
On a side note - the liit isn't 60 ml/min anymore of nitrofurantoin - it is more like 40 (or 30) depending on who you ask
Who do I ask?
lexicompWho do I ask?
not sure what lexi says -but there was a report in pharmacist letter that said 30 - we had a drug info student do a lit search and I comfortably go down to 40Who do I ask?
agreenot sure what lexi says -but there was a report in pharmacist letter that said 30 - we had a drug info student do a lit search and I comfortably go down to 40
not sure what lexi says -but there was a report in pharmacist letter that said 30 - we had a drug info student do a lit search and I comfortably go down to 40
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Oplinger M, Andrews CO. Nitrofurantoin contraindication in patients with a creatinine clearance below 60 mL/min: looking for the evidence. Ann Pharmacother. 2013;47(1):106-11. From the professor who taught me CKD it's down to 40.
D
deleted205891
Oplinger M, Andrews CO. Nitrofurantoin contraindication in patients with a creatinine clearance below 60 mL/min: looking for the evidence. Ann Pharmacother. 2013;47(1):106-11. From the professor who taught me CKD it's down to 40.
Unless you want to use Macrobid in a man. Then it looks like 60 is still the cutoff, and it should only be used for confirmed gram-negative infections (of course not pyelo). Gram positive and mixed infections require pretty much perfect renal function.
Source: Ingalsbe, et. al. Ther Adv Urol 2015, Vol. 7(4) 186-193
I found this article today when asked what to give PO in a guy with PCN allergy and QT prolongation, no concern for pyelo, grew out E. coli that's sensitive to nitrofurantoin...They didn't do doxy susceptibility so I asked if they can do that. If not, or if he needs to be discharged quickly, they might do the Macrobid...
Semi recent off label dosing for fosfomycin in men - 2 grams PO q2-3 days x 3 doses.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 771
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 570