retail pharmacists: how to get jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm00123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a P2 now and I know for sure that I want to do retail pharmacy after I graduate. How hard would you say it is to get a retail pharmacist positions (for any company)? Does it just depend on the location mostly? because I know they don't look at your grades, so only availability and how you do on the interview matters?
Also, for all of you that got offered retail positions, how did you get those positions. My school does not have a career fair like I know most other schools do, so I can't even go to that my P4 year. I am a little nervous about getting a job right away after graduating if I don't know how to score an interview. I am also an intern at walgreens right now, but the state I go to school is definitely NOT the state I want to stay in to work!

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious.Why do you want to do retail and only retail?
Did you get a chance to do clinical rotations and inpatient?
Regarding your question yes it depends on the availability.If you want to stay with walgreens contact the supervisor where you want to work and let the supervisor know about your interest.
I dont know if hiring freeze will hurt you or not but you can find out

Be in the right place at the right time and make the most of it. Apply broadly but not to positions that you would not really want if you can get away with it. Be geographically flexible, but not so flexible that hiring staff is worried that you will go to any location they ask but will leave as soon as you have the chance. Know what you like about the company you are interviewing with, how they fit into your career goals and why you want to pursue that type of pharmacy practice. Be positive. Be enthusiastic and energetic. And, be personable and make the recruiter/interviewer want you to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you are asking these questions here suggests that you don't have a job right now. Go get an intern job with a retail chain. It's the work experience that will help you find a retail job. In many parts of the country, the only pharmacists chains are hiring now are those who worked for them during school... if they are hiring at all.

times have changed. i once had 3 concurrent pharmacy jobs (1 full time and two part time jobs). now im only part time at ONE job. the previous posters are correct. the only way you will get a job in this economy is through networking. do an internship or make friends.

Most of my friends got jobs through companies they already worked for (CVS, etc..). Get a job with whatever company you want. Apply and if you don't hear anything back, work with the recruiters from your school to help land you a job.

Just don't rely on a current employer to set you up for a job. The chances of any employer having what you want when you want it are decreasing.

Networking is great. A lot of positions are not advertised publicly. I have had people tell me about jobs they didn't want but thought I might want and vice versa. I also like company sites with searchable openings.

you know how accountants, engineers, and advertising majors all came to pharmacy after they lost their jobs in this economy?

well, pharmacy's washed up...ever thought about working at a Starbucks?

You're already a intern with Walgreens so you should get your offer from them when you graduate. If you want to work back home after you graduate, ask you district manager of your current store for the contact information of the district manager for where you want to work. Contact that district manager and let them know you'll be back for the summer and would like to pick up some shifts. This will allow you to network and hopefully get an offer from them if you go back every summer.

You're already a intern with Walgreens so you should get your offer from them when you graduate. If you want to work back home after you graduate, ask you district manager of your current store for the contact information of the district manager for where you want to work.

This.

Go to employee.walgreens.com and you can find Rx supervisor information for any Walgreens district. This is how I found my job!

cough hiring in my district for pharmacists cough

What is the current average pay rate/hr with different retailers (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, Target,, etc) for new graduates or entry level in general?

What is the current average pay rate/hr with different retailers (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, Target,, etc) for new graduates or entry level in general?

The average pay is very close among the chains and is quite meaningless, what you really want to know is the average payrate/benefits for your desired market area.

The average pay is very close among the chains and is quite meaningless, what you really want to know is the average payrate/benefits for your desired market area.

You are right. If there is not benefits (part-time offer) and the market is rural area in eastern coast! Any Idea?

Hello,
I am currently a P2 now and I know for sure that I want to do retail pharmacy after I graduate. How hard would you say it is to get a retail pharmacist positions (for any company)? Does it just depend on the location mostly? because I know they don't look at your grades, so only availability and how you do on the interview matters?
Also, for all of you that got offered retail positions, how did you get those positions. My school does not have a career fair like I know most other schools do, so I can't even go to that my P4 year. I am a little nervous about getting a job right away after graduating if I don't know how to score an interview. I am also an intern at walgreens right now, but the state I go to school is definitely NOT the state I want to stay in to work!

From personal experience, my advice would be for you to be as involved in pharmacy school as possible, all the while maintaining a high GPA.

As bad as it sounds, you definitely need to fluff up your CV with activities to catch the eye of recruiters. And if they ask you where you'd like to work tell them "Anywhere." My only retail work experience prior to receiving a Target Pharmacy job offer was a year as an intern with another company. When they asked where I would like to work I said anywhere in Florida. It is unfortunate that your school doesn't have a career fair, and I would look into finding one if I were you.

I definitely wouldn't have received an interview, yet alone a job offer, had I not graduated at the top of my class while being involved in numerous pharmacy organizations.

Unfortunately, I had to turn down the offer once I matched for a residency.